The World Affairs Council is seeking to hire a full-time Program Officer to work in support of the Council’s high quality community events that engage members and the general public on current international policy issues. The goal of this position is to successfully plan, promote, and execute multiple events each month while supporting the President and CEO in her varied role at events and creating strong relationships with Council members, attendees, community partners, and venue/sales managers. The Program Officer will manage the work of one Program Coordinator and collaborate as needed with other teams on special events. This is a full-time, exempt position that reports directly to the President and CEO.
The World Affairs Council maintains a small professional staff that works together to promote the Council’s activities, raise funds, and raise the profile of the Council in the Seattle community. Responsibilities are shouldered equally among staff members, and each member of the team contributes to the work of the others where appropriate.
- Assist in developing topics and speaker suggestions for all Community Programs (CP) and Fellows events.
- Manage outside requests for events and shape these events to best suit the goals of the Council.
- In cooperation with Program Coordinator, oversee venue scheduling, equipment needs, and all other logistics related to successfully executing CP events.
- Prepare substance for CP events by leading preparatory calls with speakers and moderators.
- Prepare recommended readings and notes to distribute to the Fellows cohort before and after each breakfast.
- Monitor event budgets and stay aware of overall budget requirements.
- Maintain internal and external events calendars (WordPress) and work with colleagues to ensure all events are appropriately staffed.
- Support senior staff by providing moderator notes as needed as well as a detailed run-of-show and attendee list.
- Manage post-event wrap-up and evaluation.
- Prepare marketing and outreach plans for each event through email (MailChimp) and social media (Facebook, Twitter).
- Prepare occasional small grant requests for sponsored events.
- Represent the World Affairs Council at meetings with stakeholders and vendors as required.
- Assist senior staff and External Relations team in larger efforts to extend Council platform and increase membership base.
- Consistently utilize Salesforce CRM, ensuring all event information is up-to-date and important relationships are tracked.
- Supervise one Program Coordinator who works between Community Programs and Global Classroom.
- Hire and supervise interns and ensure they have access to meaningful projects and professional development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations or related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in non-profits and/or classrooms.
- Experience planning, scheduling, and executing both large and small events.
- Familiarity with social media usage in a professional setting.
- Comfortable with minimal oversight while maintaining open communication with a team.
- Extraordinary attention to detail with the ability to handle competing deadlines and tasks.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Demonstrated interest in international relations and current events.
- Quick problem-solver with a preference working in a fast-paced environment.
- Team player with a sense of humor.
- Experience living, working, or traveling abroad.
- Master’s degree in international relations or related field.
- Some knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp, Salesforce CRM, Adobe Creative Suite, or similar programs.
- Experience managing staff, interns, or volunteers.
Salary will depend on experience and will range in the mid-30’s. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, and generous paid time off. Orca pass included.
How to Apply
Apply online by clicking “Apply for this position” below. Please include a cover letter detailing how your work and the results you produced align with the responsibilities and qualifications of the job. This position will remain open until filled.
The World Affairs Council is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. The Council will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Apply for this position here.