Job Location: Global Washington staff are working remotely for the foreseeable future, however, staff will convene often in Seattle, Washington when it is safe to do so. We have a strong preference for this candidate to be physically located in the Seattle-area, but we will take applications for those living outside the state as well.
Position: Full-time, exempt, salary position.
Salary Range: $68,000 – $70,000 depending on skillset.
About Global Washington:
Global Washington supports the global development community in Washington state that is working to create a healthier and more equitable world. Our staff team works collaboratively to promote our members, bring them together to spark new ideas and partnerships, and build a network of leaders improving lives around the world. With over 160 members, including some of world’s most respected companies, NGOs, academic institutions and foundations, Global Washington draws the community together as the go-to place to participate in the global development eco-system in Washington state. The Global Washington annual conference is respected nationwide and draws leaders and subject matter experts together to drive positive, collective action from Washington to the world.
Global Washington seeks a Director of Communications to lead one of our three core work streams, the promotion and visibility of our members and their work. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director will drive strategy and lead implementation of all marketing and communications activities. The Director will work closely with member organizations to design issue campaigns that will publicize and promote their activities and provide connection points to others working to advance the same goals.
- On-going Communications and Strategy
- Overall support to elevate the brand and positioning of GlobalWA
- Produce an annual work plan with metrics tied to overall organizational goals
- Participate in annual and long-term strategy discussions with the Executive Director
- Production of annual report, annual Global Philanthropy Guide, annual conference report
- Support all communications needs for Women of the World program
- Manage mass communication schedule with others on staff
- Work with webmaster on content and organization of GlobalWA webpage
- Cultivate relationships with media, write press releases, and pitch stories
- Design and Implement Monthly Issue Campaigns
- Curate and write content for monthly issue campaigns to raise the profile of GlobalWA members around specific shared areas of impact
- Produce monthly e-newsletter – plan feature stories and issue brief, write and curate content, coordinate member interviews, execute a project plan, and edit all content
- Curate and write blog posts
- Manage all social media accounts
- Manage relevant contractors
- Promote Events
- Work closely with event manager on content and positioning of events
- Coordinate promotion and media relations for all events and day-of coverage
- Plan and implement the marketing and production pieces for the annual conference
- Member Relations
- Engage members throughout the year to promote their work, expertise, and impact
- Contribute to overall engagement strategy with Executive Director, Membership Director and members themselves on creative ways to engage, promote, and participate as a GlobalWA member
- Build relationships and collaborate with communications and CSR staff at member organizations
The Ideal Candidate
We seek individuals who have experience in global development, understand the complexity of the issues, and appreciate the role GlobalWA can play by bringing together corporations, NGOs and academic institutions here in Washington state. We seek candidates who show enthusiasm for our mission and a desire to help us achieve our goals to connect, promote and strengthen their efforts.
Important characteristics we seek include:
- A self-starter
- A creative thinker
- An exceptional writer and storyteller
- A digital communications guru who believes in continual learning
- A strategist who can think creatively about issue campaigns for our members
- A team player who thrives in a fast-past environment and will pitch in as part of a small, collaborative team
- A planner who will develop a marketing and communications plan
- A doer who will implement, prioritizing effectively
- A proactive connector, willing and able to meet with our member organizations to conduct substantive discussions about issue campaigns and ways to promote their work
Essential requirements for success include:
- 5+ years of experience in a marketing, PR, communications or publicist role
- Agency, nonprofit, or GlobalWA member organization experience is an advantage
- Superior writing skills for all formats (stories, articles, speeches, promotional materials, social media content/posts)
- Strong command of social media and digital communications
- Excels at external communications and stewardship of clients
- Ability to create strategy, project plans, and implement campaigns with a small team
- Able to attend events, sometimes outside normal working hours
- Solid understanding of global development
To Apply: For consideration, please send your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and fit for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Comms Director Application by April 30, 2021.
GlobalWA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse, multi-cultural work environment. GlobalWA does not discriminate in employment based on age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.