OneWorld Now! is an after-school language and global leadership program for racially and economically diverse youth in the Seattle area. We seek an energetic, organized, and dedicated individual to join our Korean teaching team as a Korean Teaching Intern for our summer camp. Whether you are a native, heritage, or second language speaker of Korean, this is a chance to share the language and culture you love with high school students and learn from a team of experienced teachers in a highly rewarding environment. You will begin by assisting our professional Korean teacher in the classroom, then transition to teaching some lessons of your own.
– Native, heritage, or second-language proficiency in Korean (intermediate-high or above)
– Professional working proficiency in English and strong written English skills
– Interest in learning about best practices in language pedagogy
– Interest in supporting the growth of young people of color, youth from immigrant families, and youth from low income backgrounds.
– Adaptability, flexibility, and openness to feedback, learning, and growth
– Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
– Ability to work legally in the United States without organizational sponsorship
– Demonstrated interest in pursuing education as a career path, whether in a foreign language or another field
– Experience working with high school students in the United States, whether as a teacher or in another capacity such as tutoring, coaching, mentoring, or similar activities
– Experience working with racially and economically diverse individuals and communities, including working class, immigrants and refugees, communities of color, and LGBTQ populations
– Plans to stay in the Seattle area during the 2019-20 school year; interest in serving as an ongoing resource to the OneWorld Now! academic year program
– Assist in the Korean language classroom at our summer camp, including by performing role-plays, working with struggling students, facilitating small-group work, and helping students stay on-task
– Work with the Korean teacher to create lesson plans and teaching materials in accordance with STARTALK best practices and submit them daily to the Academic Program Manager
– Support the Korean teacher and students during field trips and lunch times, including serving lunch and assisting with cleanup and setup
– Teach some lessons, with support from the Korean teacher
– Support the camp and students in other ways as needed
Lunch provided daily during camp
Fill out the application form at https://oneworldnow.formstack.com/forms/intern_application, including uploading a cover letter and resume.