The World Affairs Council has a 69-year history of advancing global understanding and engagement throughout greater Seattle. We envision a community that is connected, actively engaged, and inspired to create change in the world. The Council has long dedicated itself to fostering dialogue and debate about critical global issues. This is achieved through public events, Global Classroom programming for K-12 educators and students, and diplomacy initiatives that engage international delegations with our community. Our platform connects civic, academic, corporate, and individual members around world issues. We are part of a vibrant global city; our goal is to ensure that Seattle is visible, engaged, and globally aware.
The Council is seeking a temporary, contract-based English/Spanish Youth Program Assistant to work in support of the Spanish Speaking Youth Ambassador program between March 23 – April 3 (plus 1-2 additional days of paid training on March 19-20). The Program Assistant will be an integral part of the program team, accompanying the youth delegation daily while reporting to the Senior Program Officer and working with stakeholders from Georgetown University and the U.S. Department of State.
About the Program:
- Accompany group of 16 youth ambassadors Monday – Friday to professional meetings in and around Seattle.
- Navigate public transit to ensure the group gets to and from locations safely and on time.
- Coordinate and communicate with program leads, host families, and other stakeholders.
- Check in with youth ambassadors periodically to ensure positive experiences.
- Provide concurrent English/Spanish translation as needed for some meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years professional experience in a relevant field such as international education, exchange management, or youth leadership OR equivalent education.
- Experience working with high school-aged youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish (advanced, fluent, or bilingual) for youth participants from Guatemala, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Panama, and Dominican Republic, and the ability to provide informal concurrent interpretation as needed.
- Demonstrated interest in serving as a positive role model, youth development/leadership, and education.
- Familiarity with Seattle and ability to comfortably navigate local public transit systems.
- A high degree of trustworthiness, flexibility and problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable with minimal oversight while maintaining open communication with colleagues.
- A customer service-oriented, professional demeanor and a demonstrated willingness to communicate diplomatically with a variety of stakeholders.
- Preference working in a fast-paced, nontraditional learning environment.
- Team player with a sense of humor and curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as international education, Spanish language, nonprofit management, education, youth leadership development, etc.
- Experience living, working, studying or traveling abroad, especially in Latin America.
- Experience leading trips or programs for youth in non-traditional learning environments.
- First Aid/CPR/Emergency First Responder certification.
The temporary, contract-based Youth Program Assistant will be paid $15.75 per hour and will not be eligible for insurance benefits. Orca card and lunch/snacks on program days will be provided.
To learn more and apply, click here.
The World Affairs Council is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. The Council will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.