Awamaki is seeking an intern to work alongside our Executive Director in Seattle.
Awamaki is a non-profit that teaches rural women’s cooperatives in the Peruvian Andes to start and run their own businesses so they can lift their families out of poverty. Awamaki helps connect the women to market opportunities and training through two programs: fair trade artisan craft sales, and sustainable tourism. Awamaki works with 180 women and has a staff of 10 in Peru.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student looking to gain experience in social enterprise, non-profit management, communications, business and/or international development. It may also include experience in tourism, fundraising, artisan businesses and marketing, depending on the Intern’s interests.
Specific project goals will be refined based on the Intern’s skills and interests. Project opportunities include:
- Artisan product marketing and client management, including retail client correspondence and order fulfillment and logistics.
- Email communications and database management. Awamaki manages many types of clients, including retail store partners that carry our artisans’ products; former volunteers; tourists; and donors. The Intern will become familiar with Awamaki’s client relationship management (CRM) database and work to improve our use of it. This includes sending emails, segmenting client lists, and keeping communications timelines.
- Writing for donor reports and fundraising; assising staff in putting together donor emails and information.
- Lead or assist with holiday sales opportunities including trunk shows and fair trade holiday markets. (Earn 10% commission on sales at these events.)
- Help shape and carry out sales strategy to grow artisan product sales and Awamaki’s brand presence. This could include researching clients and potential clients, creating a list of target potential clients, and developing a strategy to reach them, including social media and email outreach.
- Manage aspects of Awamaki’s online store, including client communication, order fulfillment, discounts, and inventory management.
- Manage tourism promotion, including communications with tourists from our online database.
- The intern has the opportunity to work part of the year from our office in Peru. Projects in Peru may continue the work that the Intern develops in Seattle, or may be different depending on the needs of the organization in-country and the professional goals of the Intern.
Awamaki will work with the Intern to define specific projects within the above mentioned work areas to meet both our organizational goals as well as the Intern’s learning objectives.
The start date is flexible. The internship runs at least three months, with the possibility to extend.
Awamaki’s U.S.-based team works remotely from their homes or coworking spaces. Ideally we will meet with the intern weekly on Beacon Hill (accessible by transit). However some of the internship could take place remotely.
We are seeking someone who is enthusiastic about our work and eager to jump in to any aspect of it. Our work culture is casual, friendly and hardworking. Past interns have worked with us for several years, in Seattle during the school year and in Peru over the summer, and become a core part of our team. This is a unique internship that will give you real skills and authentic experience in international development, both in our Seattle office and if desired, in our office in Peru.
- Bachelors degree or current student
- Ability to work well independently and remotely. Ability to maintain regular schedule but with some room for flexibility depending on events and tasks. Some weekend availability for holiday events in November and December.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Professional, friendly and effective customer service skills, including reaching out to potential retail clients and interacting with customers in a helpful and courteous way.
- Comfort with technology and willingness to explore and become adept at unfamiliar technology platforms
- Able to think strategically, create a project plan and take initiative to complete assignments
- Skilled with any of the following programs: WordPress, Salesforce, any other CRM or database.
- Experience in marketing and communications, including any of the following: social media (mainly Instagram, some Facebook); writing for email marketing; graphic design; photography; sales; online retail; brick-and-mortar retail
- Spanish proficiency, written and oral.
- Living experience in Peru, the Andes, Latin America or the developing world.
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
The intern can make a 10% commission at holiday sales events. If she chooses to do part of her internship in Peru (for example over summer break), Awamaki will provide room and board.
How To Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received. Apply early for best consideration.
Please label your email with the subject header: [Your Last name}—Intern. Please paste your resume and cover letter into the body of your email (do not worry about formatting), and attach both in a PDF. Writing samples are welcome but not required.