VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 40 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
VillageReach invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Research Assistant – Research, Evidence & Learning. Ideal candidates will becurrently enrolled in a graduate-level program and interested in joining the VillageReach team for the Fall quarter – and potentially beyond – to apply their talents to furthering the mission of VillageReach.
Research Assistantsare paid staff based in the Seattle, WA headquarters and typically work part-time during graduate school working sessions. Research Assistantswork closely with VillageReach program staff on a variety of activities to support the work of the Research, Evidence and Learning team.
In addition to the Seattle HQ location, VillageReach currently operates offices in three African countries— Malawi, Mozambique, and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). At VillageReach, graduate-level Research Assistantsare a critical part of the team, interacting directly with country-office and Seattle-based staff to support VillageReach’s mission.
The Research Assistant will primarily support VillageReach’s Next Generation Supply Chain program in the DRC. The program aims to ensure health products are available to all people, especially those in the hardest to reach areas. Potential activities to support the program’s research agenda include:
- Support the refinement of monitoring and evaluation frameworks, including research questions, indicators and data collection methods
- Manage quantitative data in Excel, including data quality checks and cleaning and following up with VillageReach colleagues in the DRC to resolve issues
- Conduct quantitative data analysis and visualization in Excel to aid decision-making
- Support the transition from paper-based to digital data collection
- Support the transition from Excel-based data visualization to an alternative platform such as Power BI
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience:
- Graduate-level student studying public health, epidemiology, public administration, or other relevant field
- Experience and strong interest in research, monitoring and evaluation work, including working with monitoring and evaluation frameworks, collecting data, analyzing quantitative data and presenting results.
- Fluency in English and French required
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved or low-income context
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve creatively to deliver high-quality deliverables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Proficiency in Power BI or other data visualization program a plus.
- Experience with the design, management, or implementation of digital data collection a plus.
- Skillful written and verbal communication abilities, and ability to synthesize and deliver information to diverse audiences in a clear and concise way.
- Self-motivated; independent worker able to set and meet deadlines
- Willingness to participate in conference calls during early morning hours (6am to 9am)
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices. Employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The majority of the work is spent sitting during meetings or working at a computer. Due to COVID-19 our office remains closed through the end of the year and possibly beyond. This position will be remote until our office reopens.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 15, 2020. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
Compensation: $18 an hour
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.