VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 40 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
VillageReach seeks a Research Assistant to join the Health Systems Team. VillageReach is working at global and country levels to ensure equitable access to an anticipated vaccine for COVID-19, and is engaged in some COVAX working groups. [COVAX is a global partnership working to provide equitable access to COVID-19 vaccine. More information on COVAX: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/covax-explained.] We are looking for a candidate who can provide backstopping support to the Director, Global Technical Team and Country Directors as they work to prepare health systems for vaccine delivery.
Research Assistants are paid staff who work part-time during graduate school. At VillageReach, graduate-level Research Assistants are a critical part of the team, interacting directly across all our offices, especially Seattle, DRC, Mozambique and Malawi. This position is a temporary, part-time non-exempt role at an average of 20 hours per week from January through March 2021. Depending on funding and performance, there may be a possibility for extension up to June 2021 or beyond.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Consolidate information across different working groups where VillageReach is operating to streamline communications
- Coordinate with VillageReach offices to facilitate sharing of information on COVID-19 vaccine distribution
- Research and consolidate guidance and reference materials for COVID-19 vaccine distribution
- Monitors COVID-19 vaccine news (Cision) and internal MS Teams chats to ensure access to latest information for key discussions
- Helps organize meeting agendas and action items
- Participate in VillageReach internal COVID-19 delivery strategic discussions and synthesize discussions into actionable next steps in support of organizational COVID-19 vaccine strategy
- Provide input into VillageReach messaging and materials
- Understand readiness assessments and guidance documents from global level and countries, such as preparing for COVID-19 vaccine deployment, country application for technical assistance and cold chain, application for additional funding for countries, etc.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- Graduate-level student studying public health, public policy, public administration, or other relevant field
- Strong project management experience working across time zones and multiple offices
- Understanding of global partnerships and country stakeholders preferred, but not required
- Understanding of health supply chains or vaccine distribution preferred, but not required
- Skillful written and verbal communication with ability to synthesize and deliver information to diverse audiences in a clear and concise way.
- Experience or ability working diverse stakeholders and collate information from multiple sources
- Self-motivated; independent worker able to set and meet deadlines. Proactive about reaching out to colleagues to complete responsibilities or asking for direction when needed
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in French or Portuguese is a bonus
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private closed rooms for offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am Pacific Time. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, all VillageReach staff in Seattle are working from home and will continue to do so until at least early 2021. Applicant must be comfortable working outside of a physical office and using remote communication channels (MS Teams, Zoom, WhatsApp) to perform their duties. Candidates who reside in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and New York are eligible to apply.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until Dec 11, 2020. To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter and a one-page writing sample [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. Research Assistants are temporary, non-exempt employees paid at $18 per hour. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.
For more information and to apply, click here.