VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach seeks an experienced, bi-lingual (English and French) professional to help develop and support VillageReach’s Drones for Health program in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This position will play a key role in managing communication and advocacy work as well as project management in the context of the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), also called drones, for transporting health products (e.g. vaccines, medicine, laboratory samples, etc.) in DRC. The Program Officer will work with VillageReach staff in DRC, as well as with global, regional and country partners and donors. Preference will be given to DRC nationals or individuals who already have permission to work in DRC. This position reports to the DRC Country Director, with close collaboration and oversight by the Drones for Health program Lead at the VillageReach headquarters office. The successful candidate will be an individual with demonstrated experience in applying innovative technologies to solve public health problems, paired with strong project management and communication skills.
The duration of this position is one year, eligible for renewable based on funding and performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Lead overall planning, implementation, monitoring, and management of the performance of drone project(s) in DRC. Activities include, but not limited to, conducting needs assessments and drone technology evaluations, managing partners and sub-contractors, designing solutions, developing reports, tracking milestones, deliverables, and budgets, and supporting monitoring and evaluation efforts.
- Ensure project objectives are met, with a focus on driving evidence-based decision-making throughout the program implementation.
- Build, maintain, and manage relationships with partners, clients, and stakeholders including NGOs/INGOs, donors, Civil Aviation Authority, and relevant government ministries such as the Ministry of Health, Home Affairs Ministry (Ministry of Interior)
- Work with community-level organizations to support program implementation in the field.
- Act as the primary liaison with technology providers and UAV manufacturers.
- Help build visibility for VillageReach among key stakeholders and donors, and in relevant fora (e.g. drone technology, immunizations, supply chain & logistics, data analytics, and more).
- Support translation of English and/or French documents and materials for advocacy and communications purposes.
- Contribute to proposal and grant development including; conducting background research, generating new ideas, and writing proposal and grant narratives
- Manage multiple projects at a time and adhere to strict deadlines
- Other duties as assigned by the program and group leads
- Develop and implement strategic advocacy and communications plans, activities and materials to support the drones for health program in DRC (in collaboration with relevant VillageReach staff).
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities at this time.
Experience and Education
- Master’s degree in related field (public health, computer science, information technology, etc.) and at least seven (7) years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience required
- At least five (5) years project management experience; PMP/CAPM certificate or similar a plus
- At least two (2) years experience working with technology-based public health programs;
- Demonstrated experience liaising at a senior level, participating or advising in high level meetings and discussions with government agencies;
- Demonstrated capacity to liaise and negotiate with key stakeholders in Government and other organizations
- Experience working in collaboration with private sector partners in the area of technology implementation;
- Experience in the drone-related work will be a plus.
- Experience working with bi and/or multilateral organizations.
Communications, presentation and writing skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and French.
- Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze information for decision-making and presentations.
- Experience writing articles for major journals.
- Experience working with high-level executives and/or political officials.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small and geographically dispersed team.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Ability to be self-directed, prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Ability to travel 20% to 30% of the time, primarily domestically with some international travel.
Other desired qualifications:
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context
- Experience working in immunization and in the field of supply chain or logistics.
- Knowledge of various global and national actors and systems used to finance, procure, and deliver vaccines, essential medicines, diagnostics, and other health commodities.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This is an immediate hire and therefore résumés will be reviewed on a rolling basis until hire is made. To apply, please submit your résumé and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
To apply to this job, click here