Landesa is seeking an organized, action-oriented and challenge-ready Program Coordinator who will be responsible for a range of administrative work that supports efficiency and quality across Landesa’s programmatic work. In short, the person filling this role will bring an affinity and skillset for dynamic, fast-paced and coordinative administrative work that helps Landesa do what it does, better.
The Program Coordinator will report to a Program Manager on Landesa’s Program Operations team and will contribute to that team’s development and integration of systems, processes and tools that strengthen Landesa’s programmatic work. For day-to-day assignments and provision of administrative support, the Program Coordinator will work directly with the Director of the Africa Program and others on the Africa Program team.
About Landesa: Landesa is an international nonprofit dedicated to ending global poverty by securing land rights for the world’s poorest people. Founded in 1981, Landesa has worked in 50 countries throughout the world, with a home office in Seattle, WA and field offices in China, India and Tanzania. The organization is widely supported by partners, including NGOs, foundations, donor agencies (USAID, World Bank, etc.), world leaders, educational institutions and individual supporters throughout the world. Landesa is known for its advancement of pro-poor, gender-responsive land rights reforms that have helped alleviate poverty, reduce hunger, and ease conflict over land for more than 120 million women and men.
About the job: As a member of the Program Operations team, the Program Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Contributing insights to the team’s development of systems, processes and tools that support quality and efficiency in Landesa’s programmatic work.
- Proactively flagging when tools or processes do not exist but should, and proposing innovative and practical solutions.
- Serving as the Program Operations frontline on the Africa Program team, integrating Program Operations innovations into team habits and helping colleagues to adopt new technologies and processes.
The Program Coordinator will also provide a range of administrative support to the Africa Program Director and team. This support will be centered in Seattle but will also extend to colleagues in Africa-based field locations or in Landesa’s Tanzania and Liberia offices. Administrative support includes:
- Coordinating information: ensuring the information that the Program Director and other team members require for successfully managing programmatic portfolios (i.e., information on budgets, deliverables, schedules, etc.) is accessible, accurate, timely and well-organized.
- Coordinating time: helping the team’s schedule run smoothly by tracking and ensuring awareness of important internal and external needs, deadlines, events, processes, etc.
- Coordinating processes and systems: spotting the need for and putting in place systems and processes that support effective program and project management.
- Providing general administrative support: ensuring the department runs as a well-oiled machine by managing administrative tasks in a timely, organized and efficient manner, including tasks related to travel logistics; budgets; event planning; document storage; copy editing; light research; expense reporting; notetaking; coordination of consultants, invoices and contracting agreements; grant and contract administration; capacity building of country office staff; proposal development; and general troubleshooting and interdepartmental coordination required for maintaining Africa-based operations.
About the successful candidate: The following experience and qualities will support success as a candidate:
- A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience performing administrative or coordinative work in a variable but process-intensive environment; experience in a non-profit, financial or legal setting is a plus, and experience working in an international organization or across countries and cultures is strongly preferred.
- Top-notch ability in tools that enable highly effective administrative work, such as Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Adobe; an enthusiasm for learning new features, tools and systems is important.
- A robust understanding of budgeting principles and approaches.
- Experience supporting resource development, as well as administration activities of grants and contracts is helpful.
- An appreciation for process and an ability to quickly grasp the resources, stakeholders, information and decision points necessary for bringing a multifaceted task to completion; an ability to “herd” people and workflows.
- A high level of comfort with “juggling” tasks and an ability to remain unflappable and effective in the face of tight deadlines, unexpected developments and competing priorities.
- A sense of humor and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Experience working or living in East or West Africa a plus.
- An eagerness to seize challenges and to create efficiency and ease for a growing team with demanding schedules and workloads.
Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Landesa. Landesa is committed to a work environment in which relationships are characterized by dignity, courtesy, and respect. We are committed to nondiscrimination in all of our business operations and embraces diversity as a key strategic philosophy and strength of how we do our global work. Landesa actively seeks diverse candidates for employment.
For more information and to apply, go here.