Manager of Communications & Special Events
The Foundation for International Understanding Through Students (FIUTS) advances international understanding through cross-cultural experiences, student leadership, and community connections. FIUTS builds a diverse and active global community, engages students and community members in dialogue and exchange, and promotes citizen diplomacy in the Puget Sound region. A nonprofit organization founded in 1948, FIUTS has been creating opportunities for dialogue and international exchange in our region for more than 74 years. For more information about our work, visit our website at www.fiuts.org.
Commitment To Equity, Diversity, and Belonging
FIUTS is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, lived experiences, and skills. We believe that diversity on our staff is critical to our strength as a global organization, and we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your culture, ethnicity, race, nation of origin, languages spoken, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression.
About the position
The FIUTS Manager of Communications & Special Events reaches new audiences, promotes programs, and engages supporters in the Puget Sound and around the world.
You are an experienced communications professional, a strong communicator, and a creative event planner who is excited to work as part of a small team. You have excellent writing and editing skills, a clear understanding of social media and content development, and careful attention to detail. You enjoy facing new challenges in creative ways. You are open to feedback and learning, enjoy working with university students, and are comfortable balancing a wide range of tasks and deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications & Outreach:
- Work collaboratively across program areas to develop dynamic content to share opportunities and tell stories about the impact of our work through a range of social media channels.
- Coordinate weekly and monthly email communications to engage a variety of constituents.
- Solicit and edit content from program participants for the FIUTS blog and other materials.
- Develop, maintain, and implement the FIUTS communications strategy and annual content calendar across media platforms.
- Ensure consistent, clear messaging that represents FIUTS values and program impact.
- Monitor social media channels for opportunities to engage with new and existing partners and broaden the reach of our programs.
- Design graphics for signage, event collateral, and use on digital platforms; solicit and maintain program photos for use in marketing and outreach.
- Seek out partnerships for mutually beneficial promotional opportunities.
Special Events & Community Engagement:
- Oversee production of the FIUTS CulturalFest International Expo in partnership with the FIUTS Student Board.
- Coordinate student speeches and support event logistics at FIUTS’ annual fundraising event.
- Coordinate community events during visiting programs.
- Oversee volunteer coordination and food preparation for monthly Wednesday Lunch program.
- Serve as part of the staff team for daily office oversight and other programs and events.
- Minimum three years of relevant professional experience in communications, event planning, or marketing, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Exceptional understanding of social media management, processes, and techniques.
- Superb writing, storytelling, and copy-editing skills; and an ability to translate complex ideas into understandable messages that inform and engage audiences.
- Solid event planning and coordination skills and a keen eye for design.
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through, demonstrated ability to solve problems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, media monitoring tools, social media management tools, and other web-based platforms as needed.
- Commitment to global engagement and cross-cultural dialogue; Experience living and working overseas and/or second language skills a plus.
- Valid WA state driver’s license. Occasional driving is necessary for this role, so comfort with driving is required
- This position requires a criminal background check.
Compensation, Benefits, and Hours
This is a full-time exempt position, averaging 40 hours/week; FIUTS maintains open office hours of 10am-4pm Mon-Fri. Daily work schedule may be agreed upon with the Executive Director upon hiring, but must accommodate a required a weekly all-staff meeting. Additional evening or weekend work will occasionally be required.
The annual salary range for this position is $52,000 – $55,000. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k contribution, transit pass, generous paid vacation, and holidays.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; for priority consideration, send a resume and cover letter in pdf format via email by Monday, October 3rd.
Era Schrepfer, Executive Director
Foundation for International Understanding Through Students