Major Gifts Position –EKARI U.S. Board of Directors
EKARI is a community-based nonprofit tackling extreme poverty in Malawi, Africa supporting education
and economic community development. We are expanding our U.S. Board of Directors and seeking a
passionate individual to join the board in a position focused on Major Gifts.
The primary background/skills we are looking for in this position are:
- Connections or the ability to connect with major donors who would be interested in supporting
- EKARI’s work.
- Ability to network.
- Enjoys engaging a diverse community.
- Commitment to EKARI’s mission: To build knowledge and skills within youth and their surrounding communities so they can lift themselves out of extreme poverty.
- Prior board experience is a plus, but not required.
Major Gifts Position Responsibilities
- Provide input to EKARI’s fundraising/marketing plan.
- Link EKARI with new networks in various sectors (individual, corporate, foundations, grants) to increase our visibility and expand our donor base.
- Assist Development and Communications Manager with carrying out specific tasks in the fundraising/marketing plan.
Board Member Responsibilities
- Be a knowledgeable resource regarding the mission, programs, strategic goals, financials, and policies of EKARI.
- Network and serve as an advocate within your own communities (work, home, family, friends, etc.) in order to increase EKARI’s donor base, and enhance public standing.
- Actively fundraise for EKARI to ensure the organization has adequate resources to carry out its program work and expand per strategic plan.
- Advise staff on possible grant opportunities and other income sources.
- Approve the annual budget and ensure that proper financial controls are in place.
- Actively participate in strategic planning and monitor organization goals.
- Recruit and orient new board members.
- Assess Executive Director’s and board’s performance.
Board Member Commitment
- Volunteer up to 3-5 hours per week as a member of a working board.
- Serve at minimum (1) two-year term of service; board members may be reappointed for 2 additional terms of service.
- Regularly attend monthly board meetings and relevant committee meetings if applicable.
- Support EKARI financially. Each board member is highly encouraged to make a yearly or recurring monthly donation to EKARI. At minimum, each board member is asked to sponsor a student, sponsor a table at our annual event, and contribute (however big or small) to our year-end campaign.
EKARI operates its programs in Phalombe, Malawi with a staff of six people and local advisory board of
directors. Our team in Seattle includes two staff, five board members, and a group of committed volunteers providing program support and leading fundraising efforts. Our annual operating budget is $225,000.
EKARI fills a significant gap by providing access to critical social services that the Malawi government
does not provide. We implement a fully-integrated, long-term, and learning-based approach to our
program development and implementation. EKARI empowers communities alongside youth, enabling all
to move up and out of poverty together. EKARI’s tuition program guarantees students can overcome the
burden of high fees and costs of basic necessities through high school and higher education. Building on
the tuition program, EKARI’s student support programs ensure students are equipped to succeed with a
range of support in and outside the classroom, which continues until youth find employment. Our
community programs are designed to further support EKARI students by elevating the community
around them by jumpstarting sustainable livelihoods through our agriculture, adult literacy, and