Malaria No More (MNM) envisions a world where no one dies of a mosquito bite. More than a decade into our mission, our work has contributed to historic progress toward this goal. Now, we’re mobilizing the political commitment, funding, and innovation required to achieve what would be one of the greatest humanitarian accomplishments—ending malaria within our generation.
MNM is a global organization of 33 people with offices in Seattle, Washington, D.C., New York, Kenya, Cameroon, and India as well as two affiliate organizations in London and Tokyo. Each office fosters a friendly, close-knit environment with provided snacks, team gatherings for birthdays, and other fun traditions.
This is a full-time, exempt role and is eligible for MNM’s comprehensive benefits package, including high-quality medical/dental/vision coverage, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 14 paid holidays, summer Friday flex time and paid parental leave, medical/dependent care/commuter FSAs, short- and long-term disability and life insurance, and a 401K plan with an employer safe harbor contribution.
A salary range of $80,000 to $100,000 (commensurate with experience) will be offered to the successful candidate based upon his/her qualifications.
Reports to: Chief Growth Officer
Location: Seattle, WA preferred (New York, NY; San Francisco, CA; or Washington, DC based candidates considered based upon strength of qualifications and fit)
Travel: 25% (including both domestic & international)
The Major Gifts Officer will play an integral role in building and implementing Malaria No More’s major gifts strategy to support our ambitious fundraising and programmatic growth goals. As a member of the four-person development team, the Major Gifts Officer will manage an existing portfolio of 75-100 individuals while leading efforts to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward new donors with capacity to give $5-100k and support leadership efforts to attract gifts of $100k+. In addition, this role will support fundraising efforts with corporate partners, foundations, and institutions.
Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer (CGO), the Major Gifts Officer will be in a primarily external facing role but will work closely with the development team and CEO, and at times, directly with the Board of Directors. This position requires a savvy, highly motivated individual with the ability to develop and cultivate strong relationships and convey Malaria No More’s nuanced work in an impactful and compelling way.
The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment and have great attention to detail, strong work ethic and follow-through, and a high level of professional design, project management, and robust communication skills. The ability to generate rapport and trust with high-profile donors and meet funding targets based on their portfolio together with the support of the team is tantamount. Candidates with international work experience (either from experience abroad or with more globally-focused organizations) and from diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Manage and grow MNM’s major donor portfolio of 75-100 individuals with capacity for gifts in $5-100K range; hold regular face-to-face meetings and other communications with donors based throughout the US and in Asia and Africa as needed including discovery, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of assigned donors
• Contribute to building a major gifts pipeline to attract and secure new donors by leveraging relationships with donors, partners, supporters, board members and staff
• Create customized stewardship plans, reports, and correspondence for current and prospective major donors
• Identify donor interests and develop tailored pitch materials for major gift solicitation by coordinating with MNM’s program and leadership teams for input and approval
• Work with the CGO and development team to advance Malaria No More’s major gifts fundraising strategy, including recruiting donors to join a new high-end giving circle
• Support CGO, CEO and development team in developing and implementing strategic growth plans with donors, institutions, corporates, and foundations ($100K+ range)
• Effectively represent and articulate the impact of MNM’s work with current and prospective donors in authentic and compelling ways, bringing in program staff or others as needed
• Create and implement opportunities to attract new donors as well as cultivate current donors, including but not limited to individual meetings, events, and donor trips
• Stay abreast of key issues and trends in global health in general, and malaria in particular, and communicate these to donors and prospects when appropriate
• Maintain accurate and updated records in the Raiser’s Edge database
Desired Skills and Credentials
• At least 5-7 years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years in “frontline” fundraising (experience in Indian and African markets a plus)
• Proven track record of (and comfort with) soliciting and closing $5-100k+ gifts to reach revenue targets
• Ability to listen to each donor’s specific interests and use this information to create and convey a cohesive and compelling story that inspires them to give
• Stellar interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills with ability to create strong relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds and to work across MNM teams and with senior leadership, key donors, and prospects
• Experience with CRM management (Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT a plus)
• Knowledge of professional fundraising standards, ethics, and practices
• Ability to work efficiently under tight timeframes, manage multiple projects at once, adapt to changes in project resources and timelines and shift gears to strategically take advantage of new opportunities
• Passion for social impact and enthusiasm for MNM’s mission to end malaria (experience with non-profits, advocacy and/or global health a plus)
• Availability to occasionally work evening or weekend hours and/or for domestic and international travel as needed.
• Final offer will be contingent on successful background check.
Please email the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Major Gifts Officer– Full Name”
1. A concise cover letter explaining why you would like to be considered
2. Your CV
No telephone calls please.
Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MNM is an equal opportunity employer.