Northwest Justice Project (NJP) is the largest publicly funded civil legal aid organization in Washington with 19 offices located throughout the state providing legal services to low income persons and their communities. NJP’s Everett office seeks a full-time, experienced legal assistant to support our fast pace field office and attorneys. The primary practice areas include family law, housing, consumer, and public benefits. This is a full-time position.
· Prepare and edit correspondence, legal pleadings and other documents independently and consistent with attorney instructions.
· Maintain legal files and records.
· Manage litigation and office calendars.
· Assist in filing pleadings, recording documents and arranging service of process.
· Assist in client communication, fact development, limited computer-assisted legal research and community outreach/education where appropriate.
· Coordinate client/ interpreter/attorney scheduling, communicate regularly with advocates and clients, and assist attorneys with work related to two clinics that mainly assist immigrant victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
· Perform investigative work (research facts, gather discovery, access data bases etc.) as requested.
· Maintain a professional working relationship with our clients and the community.
· Perform reception duties: Assist with individuals coming into office seeking services; answer telephones; manage office voicemail box.
· Clerical/administrative/other office tasks assigned.
· Qualified applicants should have a demonstrated experience and knowledge of family law procedure, including the Snohomish County Superior Court family law local rules.
· Experience working with mandatory family law forms.
· Working knowledge of federal and state rules and procedures.
· Possess good organizational/time management skills: successfully manage multiple duties/tasks and deadlines and prioritize work.
· Demonstrated intermediate/advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and Outlook and be open to learning new software applications.
· Use and operate office machines such as copiers, scanners, etc. effectively.
· Be accurate and detail-oriented.
· Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrate cultural competence and sensitivity in working with diverse clients, communities, and colleagues.
· Manage stress and work calmly under pressure.
· Ability to work within a team environment and to work independently.
· Spanish fluency preferred
COMPENSATION: Starting salary is based upon years of experience, with an annual salary range starting at $ 41,520. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes 100% paid employee health premiums and significant premium shares for family health premiums, as well as generous time off.
Hours of work: 9:00 – 5:00, Monday through Friday
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and current resume to: Angela Brooks at email@example.com. Email subject line should clearly reference “Legal Assistant Everett” position. Cover letter should include description of relevant experience including personal or professional engagement with low income and diverse communities.
Application deadline: March 29, 2019.
The Northwest Justice Project is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices for its client communities, Board and staff. NJP actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity among people who are diverse in work background, experience, race, color, national origin, sex, age, religious preference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status, or any other perceived differences. This policy strengthens the program while reinforcing its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.