Put your technology expertise to work helping nonprofits harness the power of technology to expand the reach and impact of their services. Through strategy, planning, development, and support of technology solutions, we are able to help nonprofits advance vitally important work so that people and communities flourish.
As a member of the IT Infrastructure team, you will focus on implementing and maintaining stable technology environments and network infrastructure. As a senior member of the team, you will also serve as a leader in improving the overall efficiency, quality, and capability of our program while continually growing your own skills and those of your team.
Since you will be responding to diverse nonprofit clients with urgent needs and various levels of technical understanding, your listening and communication skills must be well developed. You will be called on to show initiative, persistence and commitment to your team.
At the end of the day, wouldn’t you like to know that you played a role in nonprofits successfully accomplishing their missions?
Managed Services Engagements – (65%)
- Performs tier 2 and scheduled support visits to stabilize nonprofit’s networked computer environments by providing routine preventative maintenance, coaching, and troubleshooting in accordance to 501 Commons’ consulting best practices
- Provides ongoing assessment of the client’s technology infrastructure and assists the client with maintenance and upgrade planning
- Communicates objectives, schedule, and types of service covered under this agreement with the client
- Works as liaison, as necessary, between the client and their technology providers, including Internet, email, web hosting, and third-party hardware and software
- Provides comprehensive documentation for all site visits and other billable work
- Conducts initial assessments to evaluate and document the client’s technology
Project and Strategic Consulting Engagements – (20%)
- Leads project and strategic consulting engagements
- Documents all work in a manner that allows for reuse by the client, repeatability for future engagements, and possible publication and free distribution to the nonprofit community
- Works in teams with other 501 Commons consultants on larger engagements, providing project leadership as appropriate
- Supports new business development activities by providing subject matter expertise, including needs assessment, project scoping, and client education
Leadership, Professional Development, Research, and Teamwork – (15%)
- Lead execution of technology initiatives, technology selection and standards definition including hardware and software
- Define and lead the implementation of consistent technical processes for systems implementations, maintenance and support
- Provides mentorship to junior staff
- Stays abreast of the latest technological changes in focus area by attending training and reviewing current literature
- Researches and assesses new products and emerging technologies for applicability in nonprofit and small business environments
- Tests possible technology solutions that may benefit the wider nonprofit audience
- Assists the 501 Commons staff with furthering organizational goals, events, and technical projects
Combines technical skills, initiative, excellent communications skills and an orientation toward teamwork will lead to satisfaction with the work and positive results for our nonprofit clients.
- Relationship Management –Works with integrity and ethically; develops and maintains constructive relationships by communicating respect; provides prompt and attentive service; handles interruptions and distractions with composure; develops trust and credibility with clients and
- Communication – Conveys information clearly in verbal and written form; demonstrates active listening skills; is able to communicate with people whose technology skills are at all levels; keeps others informed; maintains a sense of humor, even during difficult circumstances
- Reliability –Takes accountability for one’s work and determines solutions if there is a risk of not keeping a commitment; remains steady under pressure, using it to fuel efforts to become more productive and Able to achieve results with minimal supervision.
- Problem Solving – Identifies core issue(s) in a timely manner; quickly generates a range of solutions and identifies, tests and implements logical solutions; resolves problems in early stages; works well in group problem solving situations; uses diagnostic tools efficiently and effectively; follows established troubleshooting procedures.
- Managing Priorities – Prioritizes and establishes an effective balance when managing periods of high workloads and competing demands; plans and utilizes time efficiently; responds to changing customer needs; completes work in order of
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Technology, related field of study, or equivalent work experience.
- Six or more years’ experience in local and wide area networking technologies
- Experience providing customer support over the telephone and/or remotely
- Experience leading projects and activities
- Six years of solid experience in local and wide area networking technologies
- Knowledge of LAN, Wi-Fi, VPN, and Internet connectivity products (hubs, switches, routers, firewalls) and their installation, configuration, and support
- Strong knowledge of implementation, migration, and support of Microsoft Windows client and server networking environments
- Experience in designing, implementing, and testing robust automated backup solutions
- Familiarity configuring and supporting enterprise-class security devices, such as Cisco, SonicWall, and Watchguard
- Current technical certification required (MCTS/MCITP/MCSE, CCNA/CCNP, Network+/Server+)
- CSNE and CompTIA+ certifications preferred
- Experience with small business and nonprofit systems and applications
- In-depth experience implementing and supporting Microsoft server products
- In-depth experience implementing and supporting cloud services and infrastructure including Office 365, Google Apps, Azure and Amazon Web Services
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office suite in a networked environment
- Strong working knowledge of server and client-side protection strategies against viruses, malware, and spam
- Experience working with applications and processes for managing computer workgroups, including desktop imaging and lockdown solutions
- Knowledge of nonprofit applications for fund raising, financial management, and event coordination is a plus
- Ability to specify and manage client procurement processes for hardware and software systems and related data communications service provider contracts
We know the right person for this role may not meet all our qualifications. If you think you could be a good fit, reach out and let us know!
What we offer
- Flexibility within a M-F, 8am to 6pm timeframe, including working remotely and/or from home
- Collaboration with a small but highly professional team with opportunities for professional
- Benefits including generous paid time off, holiday pay, and employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Salary range: $55,000 – 65,000
501 Commons is an equal-opportunity employer and seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and to support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that a having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission.
501 Commons is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equal valued and supported.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with IT Consultant in the subject line.