VillageReach works with governments to solve health care delivery challenges in low-resource communities. Our programs focus on increasing access to quality health care at the last mile, or the point at which services are delivered. We develop and implement new ideas and approaches to ensure vaccines and medicines are available, increase the capacity of health workers and ensure they have access to data to improve health. Our work improves the lives of more than 20 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
The Assistant keeps the front office running and handles requests from both our Finance and Operations Group (FOG), as well as the staff at large. The Assistant also serves as a key member of the development team, providing administrative support for development-related activities including oversight of all donor data and records, management of the donor database, gift processing and assistance with donor communications and the planning and implementation of fundraising events.
This position is fast-paced, dynamic and integral to the smooth operation of our organization. General duties and development responsibilities comprise approximately 75%/25% of the position respectively, although the effort spent on each will vary from day to day depending upon assigned tasks and deadlines. The Assistant must be able to attend to both general office and development duties, to set priorities, and to demonstrate flexibility in performing organizational tasks and meeting deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
Administrative Support (75%)
- Serve as the first point of contact at VillageReach; greet visitors, answer, screen and transfer a low volume of inbound calls, and monitor phone messages; monitor firstname.lastname@example.org. Receive deliveries and assist with general mail, Fedex/express mailing.
- Technology support; Triage non-routine or complex IT problems and refer these to the IT consultant; Assign and maintain usernames and passwords for VillageReach fileserver, Exchange email, software applications and cloud-based systems. Maintain licenses for VillageReach business software.
- Maintain office equipment (copier, printer) and order/maintain inventory of supplies in the office, coffee area, and breakroom; Maintain office orderliness in common areas and assist with facilities requests.
- Make frequent travel arrangements involving complex itineraries; Act as a liaison for the coordination of travel with travel agent and employee; Assist with paperwork and track status for visa applications needed for employees traveling.
- Maintain organizational files and documentation.
Development Support (25%)
- Process donor gifts and acknowledgements, ensuring accurate tracking of donor information in the donor database; Work with the accounting staff to reconcile monthly giving revenue to the general ledger; Prepare reports, and produce annual tax documentation in partnership with finance.
- Assist the Director of Development with fundraising events; Prepare and distribute invitations (printed and electronic) and track RSVP’s; Organize supplies/logistics and implement post-event follow-up and communications.
- Coordinate participation in one-day philanthropy events (e.g. GiveBig, Giving Tuesday) and all external donation sites (e.g. Network for Good, Benevity, JustGive, Charity Navigator).
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Minimum 1 year of experience working in an office environment, with preference for candidates with fundraising or customer service experience.
Fearless in embracing relevant office technology including demonstrated ability to easily adopt new tools and processes
Experience and competency using web-based collaboration and communication tools
Experience using a database such as SalesForce or another database system is preferred
Excellent written and verbal professional communication abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of global health preferred.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am.
Approximately 90% of the workday is spent sitting. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
APPLICATION INFORMATION:This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until hired. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
For more information and to apply, click here.