Title: Director of Programs Reports to: VP of Programs
Status: Salaried, Exempt Location: Seattle, WA
The Max Foundation’s (Max) mission is to increase global access to treatment, care, and support for people living with cancer. Specifically, we create access channels to innovative cancer medicines for people in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC) where no other means of access exist. We work with national cancer centers and other public institutions, health care providers, patient associations, pharmaceutical and diagnostics manufacturers, and governmental and non-governmental agencies to provide access to life-saving treatments. Our international non-profit functions as an operating foundation with funds raised spent directly on our proprietary access programs. Patients are at the center of all we do.
The Max Foundation is currently working to increase the size and scope of our access programs to reach more cancer patients and meet today’s global health need now and in the future. Max is an ambitious, fast-paced, mission-driven, and patient-oriented organization aiming for large-scale impact. With annual in-kind donations valued at more than $300M, an operating budget in excess of $10M, and over 60 global team members. Currently, Max delivers more than 5,000,000 daily doses of lifesaving cancer medication to thousands of patients in over 70 countries annually and in collaboration with 118 medical institutions. Through our work, we improve and save lives, enable humanitarian donations of life-saving therapies to patients in LMIC, and strengthen healthcare systems.
The Max Foundation is looking for a team member who will exemplify our Values & Guiding Principles:
- Model excellence by going beyond in every aspect of your work.
- Show dedication through a passionate commitment to helping people face cancer with dignity & hope.
- Spur innovation by seeking progressive ways to improve outcomes for our constituents.
- Value collaboration at all levels and know the result is better for it.
The Director of Programs will report to the VP of Programs and will be accountable for creating and implementing operational plans for all facets of our Max Access Solutions program in collaboration with the Senior Director of Program Strategy and Data Solutions to support our organizational mission of bringing humanitarian donations to cancer patients in low- and middle-income countries. The Director of Programs will be responsible for providing direction, contributing to strategic plans, and coordinating our programmatic initiatives, as well as managing HQ Programs team-members. The Director of Programs will serve as a decision-maker for the development of internal processes and procedures of our Max Access Solutions program.
- Accountable for the providing direction and oversight of the implementation of Max Access Solutions and co-creating with the Senior Director of Program Strategy and Data Solutions programmatic operational plans, in alignment with organizational strategy
- Maintains the day to day relationship with key donor partners and provides direction and support to Senior Program Managers in the relationship with all donor partners
- Responsible for operationalizing the addition of new products in the Max Access Solutions portfolio, in collaboration with the Senior Director of Program Strategy and Data Solutions
- Implements annual M&E plans, program work flows, and other strategies by coordinating internal and external resources; provides leadership and direction to direct reports
- Performs complex and strategically critical assignments in their functional area
- Makes decisions that impact the organization at large, consults with executives on all high risk/ high impact decisions
- Works with key decision makers on issues that shape broad design matter and future process improvements
- Collaborates with team-members across the organization to deeply understand organizational operations and shares expertise to shape broad design matters and future process improvements
- Contributes to strategic changes with organization-wide impact, recognized internally as a leading expert in their field
- Owns the budget planning process for the HQ Programs functional area
- Assists the VP of Programs in setting the people strategy for the HQ Programs team, manages entry and mid-level team-members, and oversees the work of consultants
- Builds influential relationships with The Max Foundation partners and has built a network of people in peer organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s or relevant certification preferred, PhD a plus
- 10+ years of professional experience in the international humanitarian program or related field, preferably in the global health industry
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to make critical decisions
- Advanced project management skills and ability to navigate in a fast-paced environment with a solid track-record of following through on commitments
- Experience working in a global and multicultural capacity across time zones and among diverse team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills; written and verbal fluency in French, Spanish, or another language, a plus
- Willing and able to travel domestically or internationally, on occasion
Skills and Attributes:
- High attention to detail and a high standard for quality work products
- Passion for superior patient care and flexibility to ensure the highest quality of patient support
- Comfort working in a periodic high-paced and high-workload environment
- Ability to manage a full email inbox and respond to emails in a timely manner
- Mission driven, enthusiastic, dependable, positive, self-starting
Note: Due to COVID-19, Max team-members are primarily working from home.
We offer compensation commensurate with experience. No relocation provided.
To Apply: Visit our website at https://www.themaxfoundation.org/careers to apply. Please include résumé and cover letter.
The Max Foundation is dedicated to diversity in staff and is an equal opportunity employer.