Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “Clean water for kids.” We are a small but growing team poised to achieve groundbreaking results in the global health and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) sectors. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in major cities around the world. In five years, that number will exceed 1,000,000.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
People – People first. People second. People third.
Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash is at an exciting crossroads, having received multi-year financial commitments from several large foundations and two international governments to rapidly scale our work in India and Ethiopia, while continuing work in other countries. With the number of employees anticipated to triple over the next two years, the Director of People & Operations will lead the creation of a more robust HR function globally while ensuring stronger alignment across our offices in Seattle, US; Kolkata, India; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; and Beijing, China.
A strategic and consultative leader, the Director of People & Operations will ensure that Splash’s global goals, policies, procedures, and programs support the organization’s mission, vision, and culture. This includes creating a positive atmosphere and a culture of equity and inclusion for employees across all country offices and at all levels within the organization.
The Director of People & Operations will also play a vital role in shaping the future structure and staffing of Splash in the US and overseas during a time of organizational evolution. Over the next few years, we will need to manage the operational complexity of exiting some markets while ramping up in others, as well as scaling a for-profit social enterprise within our non-profit legal entity. This is a critical leadership position providing direct management of US and international operations, technology, and human resources staff. S/he serves as a member of the senior management team and reports to the Executive Director.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Executive Director to fulfill our commitment to Splash’s initial core value: People First, People Second, People Third
- Serve on the senior management team; participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, business model, resource allocation, and operational execution; collaborate with other department leads to ensure alignment of global offices
- Further develop and fully own HR systems and strategy to ensure consistency and alignment with best practices in the following areas: recruitment, onboarding, professional development, performance management, benefits, compensation and organizational development all with a keen eye on diversity, equity and inclusion
- Lead Splash’s global Operations team to provide critical backbone services and build the organizational infrastructure for sustainable expansion. This includes guidance and mentoring, monitoring performance, identifying and addressing any gaps that might affect overall organizational performance, and creating opportunities for staff growth and development in technical/management aspects of their roles
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, celebrates wins big and small, openly assesses mistakes big and small, and stays vigilant to ensure quality programs in the communities we serve
Your Team’s Responsibilities
- In coordination with field offices and country leaders, help manage and oversee all vendor relationships, regulatory requirements, legal interactions, and risk mitigation activities
- Provide strategic direction for using information technology and services to increase organizational performance and ensure that strategy is effectively implemented
- Challenge the organization to live out the personality of the brand (vision, mission, values) in our engagement, our alignment, and our work across all teams and offices
Your Essential Skills and Experience:
- You are a seasoned operations professional, with a minimum of 10 years of experience in developing and implementing operational strategies and systems in complex environments and/or low-resource contexts
- BA or BS degree
- Management experience in the international development sector
- Ability to develop teams and leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Experience in a management and operations position, including previous oversight of human resources and organizational administration
- Advanced degree in business, organizational development, or non-profit management preferred
- Experience as a senior executive of an international non-profit or social enterprise preferred
- Experience living and working in South Asia or East Africa preferred
You Will Be a Great Fit If:
- You are a passionate professional who combines strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- You have strong communication skills and ability to connect with people of various seniority levels and cultural backgrounds
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- You crave building teams, finding talent, nurturing relationships and tackling challenging people-related issues
- You are comfortable with a playfully professional workplace culture
You Should Know:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply, please visit: www.splash.org/careers.