ABOUT MERCY CORPS:
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action—helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Resource Development (RD) staff work to raise private funds, cultivating and maintaining relationships with private donors; define the agency’s brand, raising our public profile and sharing stories about our work by engaging with the media, the public, and our donors. The RD team includes several dozen dynamic professionals who are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to supporting our worldwide team that’s improving the lives of 19 million people in 40+ countries.
In support of that mission, the growing Corporate and Foundation team (CFT) manages Mercy Corps’ partnerships with major US companies and foundations. We set bold agency-wide strategies, manage relationships with corporate and foundation partners, and work closely with program colleagues around the world. We contribute to Mercy Corps’ strategies for strategic restricted funding, unrestricted funds and brand profile.
The corporate portfolio currently includes world class partners such as Google, helping find innovative new opportunities for youth employment in Africa and the Middle East; Cisco, bringing technological innovation to disaster response in some of the world’s toughest places; Mastercard, creating the possibility for safe, secure payments and digital ids to refugees and communities displaced by violence and crisis; TripAdvisor, leading their community of travelers and industry to reimagine their roles in natural and manmade disaster response; and others. By focusing on the holistic capacities of these 21st century partners — people, product, philanthropy and profile — the corporate team aims to create transformational impact around the world while meeting partners’ business goals. We introduce Mercy Corps to new audiences, co-create meaningful field programming, and partner to support social impact at scale in our priority areas including market-led solutions to disaster recovery, resilience to climate change, and youth employment.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps is recruiting for a Director, Corporate Partnerships who can increase Mercy Corps’ profile and credibility as a 21st century partner for companies who are keen to support social impact at scale. The successful candidate’s entrepreneurial mindset and belief in our mission will allow them to focus their time, energy and insights to building best in class partnerships with leading corporations. They will have deep understanding of industry trends in CSR, cause marketing, the impact of Silicon Valley philanthropy, uses of technology in global development, and cultural shifts in the US.
The Director will work with a portfolio of tech sector partners to 1) Raise unrestricted funds and grants for priority program areas; 2) Grow existing partnerships and develop new ones that raise Mercy Corps’ profile; and 3) Increase Mercy Corps’ profile and credibility as a 21st century partner that can deliver breakthrough solutions at scale.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop, enhance and steward relationships with a portfolio of top corporate donors and prospects to significantly increase giving levels and alignment with Mercy Corps’ priorities.
- Identify innovative ways to raise Mercy Corps profile and influence in our key areas with top companies, influencers, affinity groups and the media.
- Formulate and implement individual plans and strategies for developing key partnerships and initiatives around programmatic priorities, mobilizing necessary internal and external resources to ensure all partnerships are effectively executed and partners’ needs are fully met.
- Effectively represent Mercy Corps to external audiences for both fundraising and profile elevation.
- Make a significant contribution to the development and implementation of Mercy Corps’ evolving multi-year corporate strategy as part of the broader resource development vision.
- Act as an internal expert on the CSR landscape, and channel the perspective of companies in developing proposals and ideas with programmatic staff.
- Lead or contribute significantly to internal collaboration on breakthrough solutions that can deliver social impact at scale.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves. Accountability to Beneficiaries Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None: May have oversight of interns and volunteers.
TRAVEL: 25%, domestically and abroad
ACCOUNTABILITY: REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Managing Director for Corporate Partnerships
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Corporate and Foundations Team members in the US and Europe; Country Teams; Marketing, Fundraising and Brand teams; Technical Support Unit; Field Finance Managers; Development Associates.
- Strategic, proactive, restless and forward thinking.
- Ability to develop and lead corporate partnerships strategy within a complex environment. Develop a clear, focused, and ambitious vision.
- Empathetic, humble leader with strong emotional intelligence.
- Diligent, highly organized and results-focused.
- Persuasive, outgoing, and confident.
- Familiarity with global development issues highly desired.
- Familiarity with the tech sector highly desired.
- Strong understanding of how to navigate cross-cultural relationships.
- A deep understanding of the changing landscape of corporate social responsibility and how to leverage these trends for game-changing support of Mercy Corps’ mission.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 10 years experience in global development, philanthropy, public private partnerships, sales, or management consulting.
- Demonstrated track record of fundraising success with major corporations or building strategic partnerships in a way that maximizes value for donor and recipient and builds profile with external audiences.
- Deep knowledge of the international relief and development and philanthropic sectors.
- Experience mobilizing executives and senior stakeholders for strategic donor engagement.
- Strong written & oral communication skills for effective collaboration internally and successful proposals to donors.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to create and follow timelines for complex relationship management, research, writing, and editing.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position is based in Portland, OR, San Francisco, CA, New York, NY or Seattle, WA. The candidate can expect to travel domestically and internationally approximately 25% of the time. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
For more information and to apply, click here