FSC Investments and Partnerships (FSC I&P) is seeking a full-time Development Director to help lead the organization in its collaboration with the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and aligned organizations worldwide. The Development Director will report to the Executive Director of FSC I&P, and work to help manage, develop, and grow contributed revenue, as well as impact and provide leadership across the global organization. Through a commitment to inclusive, effective people and organizational management; a deep understanding of fundraising; and strong external partnership development, the Development Director will help bring innovations forward. The Development Director role is full-time and based out of FSC I&P’s Seattle office.
About FSC and FSC Investments and Partnerships
FSC Investments and Partnerships promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world’s forests. Our mission aligns with the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), the world’s leading and most-trusted voluntary forest management certification system.
In the early 1990s, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together to develop standards for managing forests and created the Forest Stewardship Council. These visionaries were responding to the many dire threats to the world’s forests.
FSC certification tells you that the products you buy come from a forest that is responsibly managed. Trees in these forests are grown and harvested according to a robust set of guidelines that benefit the environment, economy and society. FSC certified forests deliver benefits for forests and the people who rely on them, and they offer a positive way forward to address the threats posed by climate change and inequities in business-as-usual economics.
FSC I&P is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) non-profit established in 2016 with a commitment to dramatically accelerate the profile of FSC’s work, highlight its urgency, and fund its ambition to steward the world’s forests. Its goal is to accelerate the engagement and contributions of individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies around the world. It collaborates with FSC offices around the world and the International Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. Since its inception, FSC I&P has successfully supported engagement leading to nearly $10M in two separate awards from USAID, 1M Euro from the Dutch Postcode Lottery, and many other donations to deliver on our common goal of Forests for All Forever.
About the Position
We are looking for a mission-driven leader with experience in fundraising, relationship building, managing a diverse team, and working in a global setting.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, develop and execute a strategic plan for FSC I&P, including impact, fundraising, internal team development, and performance management goals
- Manage and support a Seattle-based team and global colleagues
- Identify, develop, manage, and evaluate fundraising opportunities aligned with our mission, the Forest Stewardship Council and FSC’s Global Strategy
- Manage a donor pipeline of funders and prospects capable of making six- and seven-figure gifts
- Represent FSC I&P at events that build the organization’s external impact, brand, and relationships
- Other tasks as required and assigned
- Approximately 10 years of relevant professional experience, including prior experience in a leadership or management role
- At least 6 years of experience in fundraising with a proven track record securing donations from corporations, professional foundations, and/or governments. Additional experience with individual giving preferred.
- Demonstrated experience building and working across diverse teams
- Commitment to building and maintaining a strong, diverse, inclusive, and collaborative team culture, and listening to and elevating marginalized voices internally and externally
- Curiosity and interest in environmental and social issues around the world
- An energetic, flexible, collaborative, supportive, and proactive approach to work
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to occasionally work hours that accommodate colleagues in time zones around the world
- Occasional travel within and outside US as circumstances allow
- Impatience about addressing the biggest challenges confronting the global community–creating a stronger, economically inclusive society while not sacrificing a commitment to social and environmental values
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
FSC I&P is committed to building an organization and team, supporting leaders, and developing policies that embrace diversity, foster an environment of inclusion, and enhance equity. We believe that differences in backgrounds, in experiences, in perspectives, and in identities lead to stronger organizations, stronger teams, and stronger, more effective solutions for forests and the people that call them home. We value diversity across multiple dimensions, including but not limited to race, color, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious belief, disability status, and age.
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter addressing your fundraising successes and your approach to donor relationship building to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application window closes July 23rd and applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.