Splash is an international development organization founded in 2007 and headquartered in Seattle, WA. Our mission is simple: we clean water for kids. To date, we have reached over 600,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), to reach every government school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kolkata, India with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs, and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. This multi-donor, $45M Project will benefit one million children by 2023
Our core values guide everything we do, including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People – People first. People second. People third.
- Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply.
This full-time permanent position is based in Seattle, WA.
The Deputy Director, Programs is responsible for the global execution and performance of Splash’s programmatic work and will report to the US-based Program Director at Splash. This role will primarily focus on the implementation of Project WISE. The Deputy Director will provide strategic guidance to two Project WISE Directors (based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kolkata, India) as well as to the Splash Program Director and Splash Management Team in Seattle.
The Deputy Director will lead and closely collaborate with the country-based Project WISE Directors for all aspects related to the implementation of the Project WISE workplan. They will provide oversight to ensure that all Project WISE deliverables are achieved on time, on scope, and on budget according to Splash’s high-quality standards as well as all grant compliance requirements.
They will drive coordination and collaboration between country-based Project Directors and Splash global team members – particularly Program technical leads, Business Development, and Finance team members.
The Deputy Director will also supervise and have direct accountability for the Global Program Impact Team, which includes Splash’s Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation (MLE) efforts. They will provide thought leadership and guidance to the Global Program Impact Team to ensure that Splash’s programs are measured effectively and learnings influence program direction and design.
The position requires strong leadership skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to represent Splash externally in meetings with project donors and partners.
- Serve as a key member of the Global Programs Leadership Team to drive consistency and quality standards across Splash programs globally.
- Provide day-to-day administrative, programmatic, and managerial oversight to all aspects of Project WISE in Ethiopia and India, with a focus on program management across countries and teams as well as program standards and quality. The program coordination function (involving project management tools within the organization) will also be part of the Deputy Director’s portfolio.
- Accountable for programmatic and managerial oversight to Splash global program measurement efforts, including MLE and program data tracking.
- Directly manage the Seattle-based Program Coordinator and Seattle-based Senior Manager of Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation
- Work with the Program Director and other colleagues at Splash on the development and roll-out of a knowledge management system to allow for replication of Splash’s WASH-in-schools model by other parties in 2022.
- Support and closely collaborate with country-based Project WISE Directors to ensure effective implementation of Project WISE activities, including workplan development and monitoring, to ensure that Project WISE is completed on time and within budget.
- Work closely with the Director of Programs on the management of Splash country programs in Cambodia, China, and Nepal and their successful transition to local ownership.
- Collaborate with Finance Team colleagues to manage the tracking of global programs budget and provide regular updates to Splash management on project progress and expense forecasts. S/he will work with the Program Director to build, track, and execute annual budgets for all program activities.
- Support country-based Project Directors to onboard and train new in-country staff on Splash’s program intervention model.
- Serve as the primary Seattle-based liaison for all business development and donor-related activity including:
- Providing oversight to ensure that all programmatic grant deliverables are achieved on time, on scope, and on budget.
- Participating in the business development processes to secure funding for Splash’s WASH programs in Ethiopia, India, and Nepal (as well as new jurisdictions) from both new and existing donors; contribute technical writing to proposals and represent the Programs team during donor pitches, as needed.
- Supporting donor reporting for Project WISE, including the refinement of and alignment around specific outputs and outcomes reported within project and provide data and reports as needed.
- Provide org-wide communications about Project WISE to relay milestones and deliverables, including risk mitigation measures should delays or other issues arise; provide project updates and reports to internal stakeholders across departments.
- International travel: 10 – 20%
- MA, MPh or MSc in a related field such as Public Health, Global Health, Education, International Development or Project Management is desired. Candidates possessing a BA/BS in these fields with considerable relevant experience will also be considered.
- At least 10 years of work experience, including 5-7 years in international development.
- Experience managing implementation of multi-year, multi-million dollar international development project(s).
- Financial literacy, with the ability to create and manage meaningful budgets and to interpret and act on financial reporting.
- Experience with project management tools and methodologies (e.g., Asana, RACI).
- Strong technical writing ability for partnering with Splash’s Business Development team on grant proposals and reports.
- Experience collaborating with Monitoring & Evaluation colleagues to develop and refine measurement frameworks (i.e. theories of change, results frameworks) coupled with a strong appetite for using data and interest in measurement methodologies and tools.
- Experience supervising team members in a matrixed environment, ideally in a developing country.
- Significant time living and working in a developing country is highly preferred but not required.