Splash (www.splash.org) is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” In 12 years, we have reached over 430,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we are embarking on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), to reach every government school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kolkata, India with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs, and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. This $44M Project will benefit one million children by 2023.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People – People first. People second. People third.
- Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty – No drama, no surprise, no BS.
- Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations along with the Staff Accountant, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll. The Controller will ensure that Splash has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation. They will work closely with non-finance staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations and fundraising. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to a rapidly scaling organization that is poised to make a major impact in the fields of international development and global health.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Lead and manage the monthly financial close process along with preparing the executive reviews
- Coordinate all annual audit activity
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings – prior experience with Form 990 preferred
- Assist Director of Finance in the annual budgeting and planning process
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with budget owners and budget managers to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization to promote understanding of financial policies and processes
- Ensure compliance with grant agreements as well as other policies and procedures of Splash’s institutional donors
- Serve as a champion for Splash’s commitment to honesty and transparency in all financial matters
- A CPA license and Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business is required
- 2+ years of experience in accounting or auditing functions
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus. simple reporting
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Additional consideration if you’ve worked for a non-profit or for-profit company with offices across multiple continents
For more information and to apply, go here.