At Medical Teams International, we are a team called to action to serve people in crisis around the world.
This is the perfect opportunity for a creative, driven self-starter, with a track record for creating impactful communications, to work alongside an inspiring and committed team with a shared mission of improving and saving lives around the world.
As the Content Specialist, you will play a critical role in our fundraising success. Through impactful storytelling, you will be responsible for engaging donors every day and inspiring them to come along side our team to serve those most in need. Through every meaningful story, lives are saved around the world.
If you have excellent communication and project management skills, strong story telling capabilities, great work ethic, willingness to learn, and a passion for helping people in need…. WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
The Content Specialist is responsible for writing, developing, and editing content for Medical Teams International across all channels. This includes design, content planning, concept development, editing, content curation, writing in various and appropriate voices, and helping to develop editorial strategy. The Content Specialist works in close partnership with all parts of the Medical Teams International organization, including multiple fundraising teams, digital marketing, media relations, and programs. S/he plays a critical role in helping build an active audience and leveraging our content to drive the most impact for Medical Teams International. The ideal candidate is a creative, resourceful and detail and outcome-oriented writer and editor with a strong understanding of how to impactfully tell stories across various platforms and a strong knowledge and love of fundraising. He/she can adapt and learn quickly and can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
MTI Calling: Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health
and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
This position contributes to the mission of the organization by executing public relations plans, maintaining the department content management system, planning, gathering, producing, editing and managing fundraising and multi-media marketing content for a variety of channels including public relations, events, social media, website, video, and print. The position also oversees video production.
- Manage and maintain well-organized, comprehensive content library of digital assets, including stories, photos and videos.
- Gather stories from field operations and volunteers through meetings, interviews, and story-capture trips.
- Manage logistics of field-based story collection trips.
- Manage the production of video stories; from concept to completion.
- Collect, edit, and provide requested stories of need, success stories and photos for upcoming direct mail, and digital fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with Gifts-In-Kind managers and International partners to collect report-backs from shipments sent to vulnerable communities.
- Interview U.S. Program beneficiaries, write and edit stories, take photos, and provide content about the domestic program.
- Edit stories for consistency.
- Take photos and shoot short video clips and perform in-house video editing.
- Maintain up-to-date information on current programs, including statistics, pricing handles, partners, etc.
- Create and distribute weekly content update email for Marketing and Development department to highlight current impact stories and photos.
- Write and post blog updates with guidance from Digital Marketing Manager.
- Fact-check programs & marketing collateral as well as website to ensure all communications are current.
- Manage photo release files and uphold Medical Teams photo policy.
- Develop urgent FAQs and update information from field ops during Humanitarian Response.
- Manage videographers and video production vendors to develop videos for digital marketing, events and exhibits.
- Support the Director of Marketing & Communications, and Public Relations vendor, with news media requests, media briefings, media trainings, and pitches.
- Contributes to annual planning process for communications plan.
- Write, edit, and produce content and pitch proposals for Public Relations efforts.
- Maintain and update media list.
- Monitor media for media opportunities and/or risks.
- Collaborate with Marketing department to help determine annual video strategy and provide videos according to plan.
- Build annual content collection plan in support of the department’s objectives and goals.
- Manages video and photography budgets.
- Train volunteers and staff on story-capture techniques.
- Manage the work of volunteers and consultants in the field to collect story assets.
- Assist with editing marketing collateral and other Medical Teams branded collateral.
- Build PowerPoint presentations.
- When appropriate, incorporate the use of volunteers in daily job functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience; additional education substituting on a year for year basis for the required experience.
- Valid Driver License.
- Valid Passport.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in journalism or communications.
- Experience across multiple channels: print, digital, video, and public relations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Commitment to Medical Teams International’s Calling Statement and Values.
- Knowledge of public relations, the media landscape, and video production.
- Intermediate level of understanding; AP style, interviewing, writing, social media, and blog platforms.
- Passion for storytelling and an understanding of how to create outstanding donor experiences, through story and imagery.
- Genuine interest in industry trends driving content marketing, awareness-building, and fundraising.
- Understanding of non-profit communications and fundraising.
- Excellent messaging, writing, and editing skills, as well as the ability to leverage multiple channels to land meaningful narratives.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate clearly and passionately, both in writing and verbally.
- Positive attitude and solution-oriented approach to work.
- Highly organized with strong time-management skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail to ensure accuracy in all communications deliverables.
- Skilled at managing projects to satisfactory completion and a keen sense of accountability.
- Ability to consistently communicate professionally and effectively with all constituents including volunteers, employees, donors, and visitors.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and follow through on task.
- Ability to operate well in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work flexible schedule and weekends as needed.
- Ability to create and produce purpose-driven content that is effective at delivering results.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to new content types and technology.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and creative ideas and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public.
- Ability to travel internationally 1-2x per year on content collection trips.
- Intermediate user skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Intermediate user skills with Communication software: Microsoft Outlook, Internet, and Teams.
- Intermediate In Design, Photoshop and Premier Pro skills.
- Intermediate photography and video editing skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme weather, and very basic living conditions.