TITLE: Colombia Communications Officer – Colombia
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications/Emergency Programs
LOCATION: Bogota, Colombia
REPORTS TO: Colombia Country Director
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Temporary, Contract
Americares saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies.
Americares is seeking an energetic, communications professional fluent in English and Spanish to serve as a liaison between Americares 10 emergency medical clinics in Colombia and the Marketing and Communications and Emergency Programs teams at Americares U.S. headquarters. This is a full-time, temporary contract position based in Bogota reporting to the Colombia Country Director.
The Marketing and Communications Department is responsible for Americares global messaging, branding and visual identity; developing compelling written and visual content; executing successful public relations campaigns; and supporting the Development team’s communications with key constituents. The Emergency Programs team responds to approximately 30 natural disasters and humanitarian crises worldwide each year, establishes long-term recovery projects and brings disaster preparedness programs to vulnerable communities.
The Colombia Communications Officer will focus on story gathering and program reports documenting Americares work providing health care to Venezuelans in need.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write donor reports including bi-weekly reports to USAID, success stories, media releases, website and newsletter articles, social media content, fact sheets and other collateral as needed;
- Distribute press releases, fact sheets and media advisories;
- Respond to inquiries from international and Colombian media outlets;
- Manage media lists and databases;
- Assist with media visits and events including media training clinical staff;
- Manage photography/videography on site;
- Enforce all branding and marking requirements where applicable;
- Coordinate information gathering with programs team to ensure accurate program representation;
- Review communication materials with Country Director to ensure adherence to programmatic goals, donor requirements, local security policy and strategic goals;
- Travel to program sites at least once a week to report on programs and interview beneficiaries and staff;
- Available to travel, as needed, throughout Latin America and the Caribbean to report on Americares programming in the region.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading and oral communications skills in both English and Spanish;
- Strong relationships with Colombian and international media outlets in Colombia;
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in external communications and/or media relations;
- Experience building and managing media lists;
- Experience writing press releases and pitching;
- Familiarity with AP Style;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office. Experience with SharePoint and Cision a plus.
- Experience working for an international NGO in a development or communications role preferred;
- Strong interest in international relief and development and health;
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Any additional Colombia-specific language: Ability to work in Colombia, travel across the region, etc.
For more information and to apply, click here.