This position contributes to the calling of Medical Teams International by defining, developing, and executing a comprehensive communications strategy and programs to support the strategic growth areas and revenue objectives of the organization. It oversees and implements key multi-channel communications programs for Medical Teams International. This position is responsible for growing the brand footprint, brand awareness, and brand equity of the organization.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications, senior staff members, marketing and communications staff, and agency/consultant partners to develop a long-term organizational communications vision and strategy, as well as develop and implement strategic messaging for Medical Teams International.
- A senior expert in media planning and media pitching, continuously develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with reporters, producers and editorial decision-makers at local, national and international media outlets.
- Proactively develop and implement various outreach activities such as media interviews, influencer relationships, editorial boards, television, digital, and/or radio to further awareness for Medical Teams International.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with reporters, including print, broadcast, and digital media. Supervise media coverage of appearances by the CEO and other senior staff. Prepare briefing materials in advance of such interviews and appearances.
- Identify situations and opportunities requiring rapid communication response and work with staff to address it in a timely manner.
- Manage all media relations during disaster response efforts.
- Prepare and distribute news releases, announcements, fact sheets, and other printed, filmed or recorded materials to the media.
- Maintain and expand an up-to-date press list.
- Oversee coordination of media aspects of special events, including fundraising events and other relevant press events.
- Oversee strategic marketing and operations of the Real-Life Exhibit.
- Oversee and support media-based initiatives and branding needs of the field-based country and humanitarian response teams.
- Partner with cross-functional teams and lead vendors to deliver integrated communications campaigns across channels.
- Monitor and synthesize data and insights from various sources to identify opportunities and areas for improvement and future testing.
- Track, analyze, and communicate program performance vs. expectations. Provide insight and recommend action plans to address variances in performance against plans (all aligned against Key Performance Indicators).
- Lead internal marketing staff, agencies and other key stakeholders and staff to develop and deploy messaging that enhances brand equity and awareness.
- Oversee and manage Communications Specialist and Marketing Specialist for the Real-Life Exhibit; assign priorities, objectives and tasks; and monitor performance.
- Ensure high-quality deliverables and effective operation across the Communications staff.
- Recommend to Medical Teams leadership and provide financial justification for annual budget; manage program financials.
- Stay on top of industry trends by constantly exploring, recommending, using and optimizing communication methods, vehicles and technologies to engage with various audiences, particularly as part of fully integrated campaigns. Continuously monitor and share relevant technology trends, competitive offerings and best-in-class executions.
- Ensure the safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams’ Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection, and Harassment-Free Workplace policies.
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible
- Additional duties as assigned
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, or a related field.
- Valid driver license.
- Valid passport.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in communications, media, and/or marketing. Experience in a global, humanitarian NGO setting highly preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing direct reports.
- Experience pitching media. Existing relationships with reporters, editors, or publications/outlets, is also a benefit.
- Experience working with senior leadership, board members, and/or donors preferred.
- Experience executing multi-channel campaigns. Proven experience with consumer-facing e-commerce and editorial/content experiences is strongly preferred.
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, high growth environment.
- Experience in setting and achieving “stretch” goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Commitment to Medical Teams International Calling Statement and Core Values.
- Very knowledgeable of the principles of effective communication across multiple channels and in a variety of formats.
- Understanding of news cycles and how Medical Teams’ can capitalize on generating earned media coverage; locally, nationally, internationally, and in relevant trades.
- Ability to create and continuously improve a communications vision, strategy, and roadmap that brings transformational change to the organization.
- Skilled at building and executing compelling marketing campaigns and concepts, channel strategy, plan implementation, and go-to-market plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; assertive and direct communication style.
- Strong business acumen and strategic thinking skills.
- Outstanding project management and prioritization capability; demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously within aggressive timelines.
- Possesses strong analytical skillset combined with a strength to synthesize data, interpret, and translate results to produce actionable changes.
- Strong project management and project leadership skills.
- Excels at building strong relationships to facilitate collaboration and workflow across multiple cross-functional stakeholders.
- Skilled at building, maintaining, and motivating a high-functioning, high-performing work team.
- Skilled at media monitoring, including flagging areas of potential concern and identifying potential solutions
- Skilled at creating and monitoring budgets and making appropriate adjustments as necessary.
- Moderately skilled with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube) and CRM software.
- Ability and willingness to deeply understand donors and their needs and motivations.
- Demonstrated success working with various cross-functional, internal and external groups to deliver meaningful results on time and on budget with limited direction.
- Familiarity working with team members on creative social media tactics.
- Results-driven with the ability to anticipate needs, innovate, and adapt. Nimble and flexible with regards to changing priorities and business needs.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment of a growth-stage company, and possess a scrappy, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves approach.
- Ability to move between building and articulating strategic thinking and driving highly tactical execution, as needs dictate.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Able to travel and work in potentially challenging, low-resource scenarios internationally, as needed. Approximately 10% of the time.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to function effectively with ambiguity.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional and inspiring manner to all stakeholders including donors, volunteers, and the public.
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible.
- Additional duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs, social media platforms and other online communication tools; calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is generally moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme weather, and very basic living conditions.
For more information and to apply, click here.