Start Date: July 1st, 2020
Salary: $20-$25/hour DOE
About Pilgrim Africa
Pilgrim Africa is a Christian nonprofit with offices in Uganda and Seattle, WA. Founded in 2001 as an indigenous response to the plight of more than 1.5 million refugees living in internally displaced persons (IDP) camps in the war-torn regions of Northern Uganda, Pilgrim Africa has grown to be an international organization with regional and national interventions in Public Health, Education and Conservation. Education efforts include a vibrant, innovative Secondary School in Soroti, Uganda, and Public Health efforts have centered on malaria control, operational research, and advocacy. Public Health efforts include multiyear partnerships with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID/CDC, and UKAID’s Department for International Development.
Pilgrim Africa is seeking a highly motivated, entry or mid-level professional who has a passion for storytelling and global development with a particular interest in global health, education, conservation, and/or the nonprofit sector. The candidate will be responsible for owning Pilgrim Africa’s communications and will work closely with the Director of Development in fundraising and other donor services.
The Communications & Donor Services Coordinator will work to manage the organization’s donor-facing communications in the form of monthly newsletters, social media, and website content updates. They will also form relationships with Pilgrim Africa’s donors and be responsible for the Ask-Thank-Report-Repeat pipeline. This role will have an impact on Pilgrim’s organizational growth, fundraising, and overall company sustainability.
You will work closely with Pilgrim’s Director of Development in building the development calendar, brainstorming campaign initiatives, and planning Pilgrim’s annual gala, JASIRI, which will ultimately improve overall team efficiency and productivity.
An ideal candidate will be motivated by an active and prayerful commitment to Christ, be relationally adept, able to work independently, highly organized, a strategic thinker and communicator, skilled with storytelling, and able to maintain partnerships with and create materials for both secular and faith-based supporters.
The candidate will have in-depth involvement in high-priority, fast-moving projects and initiatives, and will gain exposure to a rapidly-growing NGO that is developing innovative STEAM education, involved in animal conservation, and spearheading malaria control programs with a range of partners.
Pilgrim Africa is growing its audience for communications and the ideal candidate will have ideas and energy to contribute to growth on social media and other platforms, as well as a desire to ensure that existing supporters are well-nurtured and do not “slip through the cracks.”
- Gather stories and content and ensure timely and accurate reporting to funders
- Write bi-monthly newsletters and occasional press releases, reporting on our education, conservation, and public health field work
- Revamp content for Pilgrim Africa’s website and create new collateral
- Use accurate and respectful development-oriented language to communicate the continuation of our vision to all partners
- Manage Pilgrim Africa’s social media presence (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Donor Services:
- Assist the Director of Development in creating the annual development strategy, including brainstorming and implementing campaigns
- Oversee and maintain donor CRM (Kindful) and assist in the management of donor services and cultivation of relationships
- Cultivate relationships with donors and brainstorm new donor acquisition initiatives
- Assist in planning for Pilgrim Africa’s annual fundraising gala, JASIRI
- Thank donors and meet with donors for coffee
- Administrative Tasks:
- Attend weekly team meetings and manage the agendas, track team deliverables
- Coordinate logistics for annual vision trips to Uganda
- Prepare monthly development reports for the International Board of Directors
- Assist CEO with some admin tasks related to digital assets (supplying logos, photos, letters, etc) to support grant requests and funder communications
- Update Pilgrim’s online donor services profiles (Guidestar, Charity Navigator, PayPal)
- Help manage the email@example.com email
- Answer phones
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Be a highly motivated, self-starter with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with others, adapt quickly, and dive into new, unfamiliar subject matters with little guidance
- Desire to work in a growing, unstructured, startup-like environment and not afraid to take on a leadership role or ownership of new initiatives
- Have a gift for “telling the story”, with experience and passion for storytelling, PR, marketing, and branding.
- Have an ability to effectively relate to a diverse set of stakeholders here in the US and in Uganda.
- Excellent writer
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Friendly, personable personality
- Commitment to serving others
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Deanna Hines at firstname.lastname@example.org.