VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
The Associate, Communications supports the development of organizational, development and programmatic communications using a wide range of communications vehicles. This role will be responsible for contributing to the Advocacy & Communications team goals and objectives while growing her/his knowledge of the VillageReach brand, organizational strategy, and industry issues.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Supporting VillageReach organizational, development and program communications.
- Managing the organization’s digital communications vehicles, including website, social media, and email campaigns.
- Writing, editing and producing various types of content, video, and graphical assets.
- Updates and maintains the conference calendar and the coordination of submissions.
- Delivers content as requested by internal and external partners for a variety of communications purposes.
- Helps to plan and execute the VillageReach strategic communications plan.
- Tracks media coverage and digital communications reporting data for quarterly reports.
- Maintains internal knowledge management platforms.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and measuring organizational twitter accounts; familiarity with LinkedIn, Facebook and other social media for organizational purposes.
- Is a quick learner, and capable of being flexible, highly organized and a juggler of multiple projects.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Understands the basic elements of storytelling.
- Ability to edit and proofread content to arrive at a polished, finished product – demonstrating attention to detail.
- Knowledge of global health and development policy issues and players.
- Proficiency in the use of PowerPoint for business/organizational purposes; familiarity with design software; InDesign a plus.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- 2 to 3 years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing or non-profit management.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public health or related field.
- Experience working in a global organization or in an international capacity
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Employee will spend the majority of time at a desk using a keyboard, mouse and monitor.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.