The Communications Associate, located in our Seattle office, supports the World Justice Project’s efforts to increase awareness for the critical importance of the rule of law worldwide. Combining original research, storytelling, and data visualization, WJP’s work has recently been featured in The Economist, Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, The New York Times, and in hundreds of other media outlets worldwide.
The Associate reports to the Director of Communications and helps develop marketing and communications campaigns and programs in addition to managing WJP’s website, managing reporter tracking and assisting in cultivation, and updating and producing presentations and collateral. This position will support and drive WJP’s social media strategy and engagement, track performance via analytics, assist growing our audience through SEO and other strategies, and coordinate and support organization-wide communications needs.
The position requires strong writing and creative skills; an analytical mindset including the ability to understand and analyze data; excellent organization and research skills; demonstrated interest in international affairs and rule of law-related issues such as human rights, anti-corruption, access to justice, security, and government transparency; and a fundamental eagerness to learn new things.
- Manage and maintain WJP website (Drupal, HTML) and social media outlets
- Manage social media activity and campaigns;
- Conduct issue- and audience-related research and analysis as needed
- Assist in drafting and designing communications and marketing materials, such as mass emails, presentations, and handouts;
- Track performance/user analytics across platforms using a variety of tools (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, etc.) and contribute strategies for improving performance
- Collaborate with and support senior staff in identifying and generating high-quality media and communication opportunities and sourcing requisite stories
- Maintain and develop a media database and provide ongoing media tracking and assistance with press events and/or outreach
- Research and track key rule of law issues, organizations, and trends
- Propose and implement strategies to raise awareness for WJP news, events, and program activities
- Conceptualize and produce original writing/content for WJP website and social media platforms (interviews, issue briefs or reports, profiles)
- Update and ensure consistency of general WJP material (fact sheets, website copy, media highlights, other collateral)
- Assist with editorial calendar planning and tracking
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in a communications and/or marketing-related role
- Superior writing, creative, and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Superior oral communication and interpersonal skills, especially a demonstrated ability to communicate in a professional manner with senior-level professionals (reporters, experts, etc.)
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and analytics tracking/reporting
- Basic knowledge of HTML and content management systems
- Basic design knowledge/experience and experience with Adobe creative tools (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.)
- Experience with Google Analytics and AdWords
- Facility with and creative approach to multi-faceted challenges that span geographical, cultural, and sectoral backgrounds
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to work independently as well as in group settings and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work under deadline pressure
- Commitment to the WJP’s mission and principles (www.worldjusticeproject.org)
- International experience and foreign language abilities a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
How to Apply
The World Justice Project is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Please email a cover letter, resume, and reference information (1-3 reference contact information, past supervisors and employers preferred) to email@example.com with subject line “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME – Communications Associate Application.” Please send all application documents at once. This position will remain open until filled. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up directly with candidates selected for interviews. No phone calls please.