The Chief of Staff (CoS) serves as the CEO’s “right hand”, to ensure that the CEO remains focused on the organizational activities of highest impact. The CoS is responsible for managing the executive office, for strategic and annual planning, and oversight of executive and senior leadership planning. This role is also responsible for high level and strategic internal communication, creating and executing an internal communication strategy that keeps staff up-to-date regarding progress towards strategic results, events, culture, and key organizational changes.
Direct Support of the CEO
- Serve as a liaison between CEO and staﬀ & leadership teams regarding project updates, proposals and planning, and organizational change and culture initiatives.
- Strategically manage CEO’s time. Review the CEO’s calendar and external opportunities, including long-term travel and meeting plans, and assess their fit against strategic priorities. Regularly monitor and report to CEO planned vs. actual time directed toward priorities.
- Ensure that CEO is appropriately and timely involved in projects and decisions where the CEO’s authority and expertise are most needed.
- Represent CEO at meetings as requested.
- Manage hiring process for senior leadership roles reporting to the CEO in partnership with HR Director. Oversee administrative aspects hires, including drafting job descriptions, helping to design interview processes, and screening candidates.
- Work with Executive Team to ensure that the team stays on track with performance management plans and processes.
- Assist Executive Assistant in developing and monitoring the CEO Office’s budget and expenditures.
Project Planning and Management and Strategic Planning
- Working closely with the CEO and Executive and Senior Leadership Team members, lead process of setting annual strategic goals, priorities, targets, indicators, and other measures of success.
- Working with the senior leadership team, lead the process of establishing an annual dashboard based on the targets/indicators for that year. Oversee the dashboard quarterly progress review meetings.
- Together with the Executive Assistant create an annual calendar of Executive and Senior Leadership Team meetings and retreats as well as a regular rhythm of meetings for the year.
- With direction from the CEO, set detailed agendas for leadership team meetings and retreats.
- Ensure that Executive Team has all necessary information prior to each meeting.
- Manage Executive Team meetings by tracking time and ensuring that agenda is followed. Ensure that there is clarity as to the outcome for each agenda item (e.g., decision, FYI only). Ensure that there is clarity as to “who does what by when.”
- Monitor all follow-up items from Executive Team meetings.
- Lead annual strategic planning process for MTI by acting as a project manager and ensuring alignment with the CEO and leadership team. Drive the process through a planning calendar, planning document templates, cross-organization planning meetings and regular communications.
- As assigned by the CEO, oversee large, often cross-functional, organization-wide projects or initiatives; bring together important stakeholders and help drive decisions.
- Prepare and assist with business case development using data to present options for decision making and carrying out research, bench-marking and analysis as needed.
- Propose the creation of new systems and processes to streamline Executive office and team operations.
Strategic Stakeholder Engagement and Board of Directors Support
- Work with the CEO, Board Chair/Vice-Chair, and Executive Assistant to establish the cadence of board meetings and plan agendas for the Board and Board Committees, involving executive leaders in relevant committee plans and providing oversight of board packages, minutes and materials.
- Work with Executive Assistant to ensure effective coverage of all Board Secretary functions, including on-boarding of new board members, developing board development plans, monitoring of board governance files, policies, and board terms.
- Plan and work with Philanthropy team to ensure that the CEO develops and maintains a strong relationship with key funders and stakeholders.
Manage CEO Internal and External Communications
- Oversee consultants or staff and draft relevant communications for the CEO including newsletter(s), reports, pitch decks, speeches, and presentations on their behalf.
- Create and own MTI’s internal communications strategy or framework that encompasses all standard communications rhythms above the departmental level.
- Orchestrate consistent and high-quality execution of the communications framework across the Office of the CEO and all MTI departments drafting relevant communications and overseeing any consultant or executive staff resources available for communications.
- Serve as full participating member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Attend all Executive Team meetings
- Attend Board of Directors meetings as necessary
- Supports safeguarding of all personnel and program participants through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection policies and harassment policies.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in management or similar master’s degree in public administration or other relevant field preferred
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in a foundation, not-for-proﬁt, international development, humanitarian, or high-level management or leadership role
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Commitment to Medical Teams International’s Calling Statement and Values.
- Proven strategic thinking and strategic planning skills with a demonstrated track record
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with high degree of attention to detail and accuracy; ability to meet deadlines, ensure follow-up and pursue multiple projects simultaneously; administratively very self-suﬃcient
- Proven success working with leadership teams, in cross-cultural teams as well as organizing, coordinating and managing teams
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation and communication skills in English
- High emotional intelligence with ability to influence leaders and reinforce culture
- Positive, tactful, trustworthy, and mature, exercising discretion in dealing with sensitive information as well as able to keep information highly confidential
- A participatory, transparent and inclusive work ethic; open and able to work through diﬀerences; believes in the active participation by all involved
- Keen sensitivity to unique role of CoS and its boundaries in relation to CEO’s authority and his/her relationship with other executives and BoD
- Ability to adapt and work quickly in a dynamic, flexible and fast-paced environment, with good humor and a readiness to tackle new projects and challenges
- A regard for individual dignity, worth and growth
- Strong skills and experience using contemporary IT software and tools.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, copy machine and fax machine.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
To apply, go here.