Job Summary: The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) serves as a key member of the organization with responsibility for advising the CEO, leadership team, and Board of Directors on issues related to the following financial and administrative functions: finance and accounting, information technology and services, legal, and global support services. In partnership with the CEO, leadership team, and the CFO’s direct reports, defines and implements strategies, policies and practices that will improve and support the organization’s ability to achieve its mission while fostering cross-functional links among headquarters and field locations and among departments.
The CFO sets goals, conducts and monitors work, and evaluates results to ensure that departmental and organizational objectives and Financial requirements are met and are in line with the needs and mission of Landesa. The CFO serves as a member of the Global Leadership Team and participates actively in developing Landesa’s overall strategic direction.
Reporting and relationships: The Chief Financial Officer reports to the CEO, is part of the Executive Leadership Team, and has key relationships with Landesa leaders and Board of Directors.
Availability: The Chief Financial Officer will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. International travel to Landesa offices on an annual basis or as deemed necessary is anticipated.
Essential Job Functions:
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, financial model and operational execution;
- Assess and ensure organizational performance against both the annual budget and longer term strategy;
- Serve as a primary resource to CEO for strategy development and counsel on short and long term financial and administrative strategic decisions.
- Lead and provide financial forecasting to help organizational leaders make more informed decisions about programs and staffing.
- Ensure timely financial information is communicated in a clear and accessibleway for staff and leadership.
- Manage and support the Controller;
- Ensure compliance with audit, regulatory, and government requirements;
- Together with Controller:
- Oversee investments and asset management;
- Oversee financial reporting from overseas operations;
- Oversee multi-year financial modeling consistent with strategic plans;
- Oversee annual budgeting process;
- Prepare and provide both regular and ad hoc reports and analysis to the leadership team and Board Finance Committee.
Global Operational Support Services
- Establish and implement global best practices to ensure that the proper infrastructure, connectivity, policies, processes and controls are in place to run a global organization effectively and efficiently;
- In collaboration with leadership team, guide the growth of the organization while simultaneously building organizational infrastructure that will allow for sustainable expansion into the distant future;
- Manage and oversee risk management, compliance and legal activities;
- Oversee effective management of Landesa’s offices, physical assets, and insurance;
- Maintain close working relationships with international staff to facilitate innovative and effective procedures for improving and supporting the scale-up of effective programs and practices;
- Work with the leadership team, country directors and international program staff to resolve field policy and procedure compliance;
- Negotiate and manage external vendor relationships including but not limited to legal counsel, insurance, technology providers and facilities.
Information Technology and Services
- Provide strategic direction for using information technology and services to increase organizational performance and ensure that strategy is effectively implemented;
- Together with the Manager of Information Technology and Services:
- Drive innovation and build an information technology platform that allows for growth in impact and organizational size;
- Ensure ITS delivers superior solutions to internal clients while continually refining methods to increase staff satisfaction and ensure efficient collaboration across the organization;
- Develop, implement and monitor global management information systems, policy and controls to ensure data accuracy, security and legal and regulatory compliance;
- Ensure ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure across the globe, including hardware, software, backup and disaster recovery plans;
- Manage a team of 7-10 staff;
- Directly manage, develop, support, and evaluate the Finance, ITS, compliance and administrative support teams at Landesa’s Seattle headquarters;
- Recruit, motivate and lead high performance teams that are adaptable to the changing needs in a fast growth, mission-driven environment;
- Create and manage departmental and project work plans and budgets; control expenditures based on annual and project budgets.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A deep commitment to the mission of a better, safer future for the world’s poorest people through land ownership and secure land rights;
- Inspiring leadership: Strong emotional intelligence competencies. Collaborative approach to organizational issues. Able to share our financial picture and strategies in a way that is easily understandable and informs, influences, and motivates stakeholders to action.
- Ability to work with senior-level stakeholders to secure commitments and manage execution against shared objectives;
- Ability to rapidly develop a deep understanding of the drivers of Landesa’s performance on all dimensions (including financial, operational, cultural, and programmatic), and provide forward-looking guidance and support accordingly to the CEO, Board, and Global Leadership Team
- Solid demonstrated experience in Change Management
- Conversant with audit, compliance, budget and resource development areas; understanding of non-profits and non-profit budget models (fundraising and government contracts experience would be optimal);
- Demonstrated sensitivity and ability to establish respect, credibility, and trust in a multi-cultural organization at all levels including staff, board, partners and donors;
- Ability to think strategically, broadly and creatively while at the same time, possessing a strong work ethic and the ability to act as a hands-on manager and a high-performing individual performer;
- Demonstrated commitment to Landesa’s core values, including respect, collaboration, impact, dedication, and learning;
- Demonstrated ability to bring together cross-functional teams to accomplish common goals;
- Track record for innovation and the establishment of productive/harmonious work cultures;
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to attract, develop, and inspire a team;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines, working with direct and indirect influences;
- Strong oral and written communications skills required with a demonstrated ability to represent Landesa to a wide variety of individuals and group both internally and externally;
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite of business applications.
Education and Experience:
- BA in Finance or Accounting, Business Administration or related field required;
- Advanced degree in business, finance or related field preferred (CPA, MBA);
- Minimum 15 years related work experience in relevant positions of increasing scope and responsibility;
- Proven experience in the international development sector;
- Proven experience in a senior management accounting, finance and operations position, including financial reporting and budgeting, ideally with previous oversight of IT management, and organizational administration.