VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 46 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
VillageReach’s Data Analytics Team is a dynamic and growing team of public health and digital solutions specialists housed within the Global Technical Team. This position may be based out of Seattle, Malawi, DRC, Mozambique, DRC, Kenya, Tanzania, Liberia or Ivory Coast. Our work comprises many of VillageReach’s systems-oriented analytics initiatives that cut across the organization’s program portfolio. Examples of our work include: establishing robust data for management (D4M) practices within government structures and projects; designing and testing compelling and decision-oriented data dashboards and visualizations; and capacity building within VillageReach and across government partners to promote a culture of data use for decision-making.
The Associate position will provide technical assistance to projects and partners in the areas identified above as well as support relevant business development opportunities for data analytics. This position will play a key role in implementing analytical workstreams within projects, including design and implementations of Power-BI dashboards and other data analytics tools. Additionally, this position will assist in the generation and documentation of data across existing programs in VillageReach’s portfolio. The successful candidate will be a person motivated by mission, by a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial environment, and by the understanding that her or his contribution can and will impact the success of VillageReach’s goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
Data Analytics and Dashboard Management
- Set up data analysis systems to collect, clean and mange primary and secondary data across different programs
- Assess reporting requirements and prepare data for analysis, manage data dictionary and archiving process and data sharing protocol
- Develop systems for visualizations and reporting trends across program data to facilitate operational decision-making
- Create or update data monitoring, data cleaning, and analytical output scripts in STATA/ R/ Tableau, etc
- Liaise with Digital Solutions colleagues in setting up database architecture and documenting meta data for set up of dashboards, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge and comfort with using different data management platforms and analytical tools to prepare standard and custom reports for internal and external audiences.
- Conducting needs assessments and evaluating possible systems (custom or commercial) to allow data gathering from various sources to report against key health outcomes at the project, country, and global levels.
- Support Data Analytics team efforts in developing and successfully deploying a robust portfolio of data analysis and visualization projects and tools for multiple programmatic needs across the organizations
Knowledge Management and Evidence-Sharing
- Support Data Analytics team efforts to create or strengthen a culture of data use within program teams or government structures
- Continually improve database and interface by writing requirements, validating requirements by working with both Digital Solutions and program colleagues as needed, and testing new functionality
- Represent VillageReach by demonstrating our work at data analytics, data visualizations, digital health and associated forums and conferences.
- Contribute to proposal and grant development including; conducting background research, generating new ideas, and writing proposal and grant narratives
- Manage multiple projects at a time and adhere to strict deadlines
- Other duties as assigned by the program and group leads
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Intermediate Proficiency with statistical software such as STATA, R, EpiInfo, etc
- Excellent proficiency in use of at least two data visualization tools (ex. Tableau, Power BI, R Shiny, Excel) to create visualizations and interactive dashboards
- Exceptional analytical capability and the ability to integrate qualitative and quantitative information to generate insights and develop innovative solutions;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and absorb various types of data and evidence, especially pertaining to health access, technology adoption, and related public health fields;
- Willingness and fast-paced ability to learn and implement use of digital analytical tools
- Proficiency with GIS mapping software such as ArcGIS, QGIS etc
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups;
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-resource context; experience living in and/or working in a lower and middle income country (LMIC) a plus;
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small and geographically dispersed-team, demonstrating a willingness to see problems from various points of view;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate resourcefulness, navigate a fast-paced, changing environment, and be comfortable with ambiguity;
- Professional fluency in English required; fluency in French and/or Portuguese strongly preferred;
- Ability to travel internationally up to 10% each year.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (public health, health informatics, computer science, information technology, etc.); Master’s degree highly preferred.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of global-health and/or data sciences related experience; experience working in low and middle income-countries on public health/digital health programs and research highly desirable;
- Ability to manage multiple diverse and competing tasks in a fast-paced environment by setting priorities and understanding how to leverage resources across the organization.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
This position involves mostly computer work either sitting or standing, using a mouse and keyboard and videoconferencing technology.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until July 2, 2021. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.
For more information and to apply, click here.