Malaria No More (MNM) envisions a world where no one dies from a mosquito bite. We mobilize the political commitment, funding, and innovation required to end malaria within our generation. MNM’s internship program offers internships for 3-6 months at our offices in Seattle, WA and New York, NY. We welcome student interns, particularly those with an interest in fundraising, nonprofit management, public health, or international development. The internship is unpaid, but we welcome and can help sign off on class credit if that is something your university offers. We are currently recruiting for Winter/Spring 2019 (approximately early February through May 2019). Candidates will be considered for either our New York or Seattle offices.
What do you gain as an intern?
An internship with MNM provides an opportunity to work in a small, influential advocacy organization and learn about the many facets of nonprofit fundraising including grant writing, stewardship, cultivation strategy, research, administration, donor relations, event planning and more.
Testimonials from past interns:
- “The team at Malaria No more is supportive, encouraging, and genuinely wants you to gain professional and practical experience. By giving me liberty to choose what projects interested me and helping with guidance along the way, I gained confidence in my development writing skills and learned how to use the Raiser’s Edge NXT platform. Through working both independently and with the development team, this internship was perfect to dip into the professional non-profit world.”
- “My summer at MNM was my first introduction to structured small-donor stewardship, grant writing, and messaging. Though I am not a global health major, the skills I developed at MNM are transferable to many of my academic and professional pursuits: I am a better writer, email-er, and thinker. Most importantly, I am better able to understand the global systems in which policy, culture, and health practices intersect.”
What will be the type of work you will do as an intern?
MNM makes every effort to collaborate with our interns to ensure you gain experience in the areas of fundraising and resource development that interest you the most. Past development (fundraising) interns have:
- Helped plan MNM’s major annual event, the Spring International Honors gala in NYC
- Identified grant opportunities and assisted with drafting grant proposals
- Researched prospective donors and created prospect profiles
- Assisted with research, light writing, preparing donor lists, donor-focused communications, etc.
- Supported donor stewardship and acknowledgement processes
- Contributed to Social Media content and strategy
- Helped update and maintain the donor database
- Other duties as assigned
Are you eligible for an MNM internship?
To qualify for an MNM internship you must meet the following requirements:
- Working towards or hold a university degree (undergraduate degree, MA, or PhD)
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading, and writing)
- Interested in global health / international development issues
- Ability to think strategically, express ideas clearly both orally and in writing, and work independently and as part of a team
- Able to commit at least 8-16 hours per week. Exact schedule is flexible and can be worked around school commitments; an example schedule could be 12pm-4pm on Tuesday and Thursdays with breaks for exam weeks and holidays.
- Past experience with planning events is highly desirable.
This is a competitive program and candidates will be selected on merit. If you fulfill the above-mentioned criteria, please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Full Name – 2019 Development Internship” and include the following materials:
- A concise cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you are seeking the opportunity to learn more about nonprofit fundraising. Please include your anticipated weekly schedule and number of hours (8-16) and desired work days – ideally split over 2-3 days per week.
- Your resume
No telephone calls please.
Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MNM is an equal opportunity employer.