Job Summary: The State Director is responsible for the overall development, expansion, integration, and implementation of RDI/India’s program strategy in the State and for the overall operations, including contribution to fundraising efforts. This position is also responsible for programme planning, monitoring and review along with the key responsibility of networking and relationship building with a wide range of stakeholders with special emphasis on state government and potential donors. Accountable for Landesa’s advocacy with government and other partners on policies supportive of RDI’s goals and objectives. This position manages a team of professional staff members and serves as a member of the India Senior Team and participates actively in developing RDI’s overall strategic direction and organizational health.
Reporting and relationships / Direct Reports: The State Director reports to India Deputy Country Director. The State Director directly supervises staff reporting to her/ him in the State and other staff through the respective line managers. The State Director also works closely with Programme Directors for specific technical support specially Research and Monitoring and Evaluation, Communication and Advocacy and Programme Planning and Review. Being head of operations in the state, the State Director works closely with India Director of Finance and Administration and the Director of Human Resources.
Availability: State Director will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The State Director will be required to travel up to 35% of his/her time to various districts of the state where RDI operates as well as some travel within India and abroad as may be required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead and guide a team of professionals and staff ensuring effective and appropriate use of all human, finance and material resources, overseeing implementation ofRDI supported programmes in the state, developing annual work plans, working closely with government and other partners to ensure smooth and efficient execution of programme activities.
- Responsible for effective management of project/programme and operations in the state in consultation with the state/national team.
- Responsible for state programme design, planning, monitoring and review in regular intervals and coordinate with the national office to ensure proper delivery of grant milestones.
- Work closely with other Organizational Directors in India and the United States to ensure that state programme is adequately supported to ensure effective implementation.
- Develop, ensure implementation, and enforce the use of systems that facilitate smooth work flow, equitable and efficient work allocation, quality control and communication within and among programmes.
- Develop innovative initiatives to enhance internal communications, education, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Encourage and facilitate the application of technology to enable the re-engineering of programs and processes to make optimal use of resources.
- Coordinate and oversee financial management, including developing the budget; authorizing and monitoring expenditure of contract funds; and identifying opportunities for cost savings.
- Lead efforts to identify and assess how emerging trends and issues may impact RDI’s work at the state and national level.
- Recruit and select personnel with the support of the U.S. Global Office and the IndiaNational Officeand manage the human capital by providing support in terms of their work, work-life balance, performance appraisal, motivation and career development.
- Responsible for implementing RDI’s policies, procedures and systems in the State office and ensure all statutory requirements are complied withandensure its adherence in all matters.
Education and Experience:
- Advanced University degree in a relevant field (law, international studies, economics, social science, business, etc.).
- At least 10 years of relevant experience working in a leadership position.
- Good knowledge of land tenure or rural development issues with experience working in the state
- Significant cross-cultural work experience.
- Excellent language skills in English, Hindi and local language of the state
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High degree of personal and professional integrity, initiative, and intellectual curiosity.
- Highly energetic.Ability to work independently.Strong commitment to teamwork. Creative and independent thinker with a track record of success in achieving organizational objectives, including through conception and implementation of new ideas.
- Proven people management and communication skills. Proactive. Track record of success in actively managing professionals and international development programs.
- Ability to lead, motivate, and direct groups and individuals. Ability to
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to mediate and negotiate successfully with individuals and groups internally and externally. Ability to overcome obstacles to cooperation and to foster harmonious relations.
- Ability to define objectives, develop and manage budgets, appropriately allocate resources and evaluate outcomes.
- Strong programme and project management skills. Ability to balance competing priorities; work effectively in complex situations and within tight deadlines.
- Superior communication, public speaking and written skills.Exceptional organizational and time management skills.Ability to work effectively and constructively with a range of internal and external partners.
- Commitment to RDI’s values.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas strongly desired: program design, research, nonprofit performance measurement; ethics and accountability; and/or leadership development.
Additional Comments: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Click here to apply.