Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Resource Development (RD) staff work in three main areas: 1) raising private funds and cultivating and maintaining relationships with private donors; 2) defining the agency’s brand, raising our public profile and sharing stories about our work by engaging with the media, the public, and our supporters; and 3) educating visitors to our Portland Action Center about issues of global poverty and engaging them in efforts to end it.
The RD team comprises about 70 dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills in fundraising, marketing and communications. We are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to supporting our global team that works to improve the lives of millions of people around the world.
The Director of Content Strategy will think like a marketer and act like a managing editor. S/he will have a keen eye for great stories and moving visuals, the operational savvy and superior organization skills to work with urgency and under deadline pressure, and the leadership to inspire and grow a high-performing team. Key to the role is the development and execution of a cohesive content strategy across multiple channels that ensures a flowing pipeline of high-value, relevant and engaging content that strengthens the Mercy Corps brand, advances fundraising and advocacy goals, elevates our profile and expertise, and attracts champions and donors.
The Director of Content Strategy works in close partnership with all parts of the Mercy Corps organization, including multiple fundraising teams, creative, digital marketing, media relations, programs, and policy and advocacy. S/he plays a critical role in helping build an active audience and leveraging our content to drive the most impact for Mercy Corps, and is responsible for feeding the Mercy Corps website and social media channels. S/he will refine existing publication processes, create world-class content assets, harmonize content-creation processes across the organization, define publication schedules, and collaborate on content-amplification and lead-generation strategies. Reporting to the Senior Director of Brand/Marketing, the director will lead a cross-functional team of staff and freelance writers, content managers and photographers, and play a critical leadership role within the broader RD team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Operations
- Design and execute a content strategy that meets business needs of multiple channel owners and stakeholders across Mercy Corps, from fundraising and media relations to advocacy and research.
- Build and own the Mercy Corps editorial calendar, a content roadmap to advance profile-elevation, fundraising, thought leadership and advocacy goals.
- In partnership with stakeholders and channel owners, manage the creation and production of content that is timely, relevant, flexible, on-brand and, most of all, effective at telling Mercy Corps’ story to discrete target audiences.
- Oversee planning of content-gathering trips in the field, including development of detailed trip rationale and, in partnership with stakeholders, detailed inventory of trip deliverables.
- Serve as senior editor for content pieces.
- Seek and apply new, innovative ideas and creative ways to tell stories through content.
- Supervise the management of content inventories to ensure all pieces are catalogued and easy for stakeholders to find.
- Work closely with the digital optimization team for content creation to increase SEO and website traffic
- Develop engaging content for social media channels.
- Set priorities for team’s daily workflow. Create and manage the team’s annual budget. Supervise all aspects of day-to-day operations.
Leadership and Team Management
- Leads by example; establishes clear expectations; sets direction and priorities; ensures that work levels are balanced among all staff; resolves internal staff issues in a timely manner; keeps staff informed of all appropriate information; builds effective team; delegates at appropriate level.
- Facilitates the development and growth of staff by providing opportunities and support; provides timely feedback on work product; regularly coaches, evaluates and recognizes staff performance and accomplishments.
- Establishes and adheres to department budget; seeks opportunities to improve department efficiency and reduce expenses by streamlining operations.
- Builds trust and partnership with other RD leaders and key stakeholders across Mercy Corps.
As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
ACCOUNTABILTIY TO BENEFICIARIES:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Project Manager, Content Asset Specialist.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO:
Senior Director of Brand/Marketing
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:
Members of RD teams, especially close collaboration with Mass Market Fundraising, Digital Optimization/Marketing, Media Relations, Communications and Creative; Policy & Advocacy team; Research team; executive team; various program leaders and staff.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years in a content strategy role.
- 7-10 years of relevant professional experience, demonstrating strong leadership skills, and a genuine interest in industry trends driving content marketing, awareness-building and lead generation.
- 5+ years of experience in either website or content-marketing platforms.
- Exceptional messaging, writing and editing skills, and the ability to leverage multiple channels to land meaningful narratives.
- A track record for solving complex problems, managing across many teams, and driving results.
- Experience leading a team with proven ability to communicate, delegate, build a team and develop direct reports.
- Demonstrated excellence in leading operations from concept to strategy development to implementation.
- Ability to balance need for creativity with a data-driven approach to measuring impact and success.
- Understanding of all aspects of content marketing, social, influence marketing, and communications.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ensures accuracy in all communications deliverables.
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate clearly and passionately, both in writing and verbally. Positive attitude and solution-oriented approach to work is a must.
The successful Director of Content is an excellent strategist and a seasoned leader with a passion for managing and developing a high-performing, cross-group team. S/he will be familiar with Mercy Corps’ mission and culture and will be able to create a sense of intensity and urgency about the global issues central to the work of Mercy Corps. S/he will be a resourceful, creative, and practical individual who can solve problems quickly and make fast decisions to capitalize on opportunities. S/he will cultivate an environment of purpose and stability, of hard work that demonstrates a clear record of achievement and community. The Director will be willing to work hands-on developing and executing a variety of projects, and will be a convincing and authentic representative of Mercy Corps, with the ability to connect effectively with partners across the agency and their stakeholders.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Occasional work in the evening and on the weekends, as well as domestic and/or international travel required.
For more information and to apply go here; http://jobs.jobvite.com/mercycorps/job/ooqX5fwA