Job Summary: The Development Assistant supports development activities and enhances donor communications across Resource Development. The Assistant will manage the donor database and provide support to help attract, recruit, and retain new and existing donors while strengthening awareness of the Landesa brand. The Assistant will also work closely with the Communications team to align public communications and donor relations.
Reporting and relationships: The Development Assistant will report to the Senior Philanthropy Officer, Resource Development.
Availability: The Development Assistant will be expected to work a typical workweek of 40 hours.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures timely processing of gifts, receipts and all tax-acknowledgement letters for individuals and foundations
- Generates content for thank you letters and other donor acknowledgements
- Coordinates other donor stewardship efforts
- Supports philanthropy team in major gift efforts including prospect research
- Maintains an organized system of tracking, monitoring, and donor efforts through moves management system in donor database
- Manages donor database and supports staff with donor reports and giving analysis
- Creates, updates, and/or maintains organized files and records in Salesforce and the internal server
- Supports all fundraising efforts as needed
Events and Annual Campaign Support
- In conjunction with the Philanthropy Officer supports and coordinates email and mailed solicitations as needed
- Supports Landesa events, including galas and board dinners
- Supports content creation of case statements, annual appeals and event materials
- Designs and crafts invitations, e-mail content, and other collateral needs for the organization
- Maintains e-communications email database and Plotline’s recipient list; ensures timely entry of email sign up into systems
- Supports case content for major gifts and foundations as needed
- Provides supporting communications assistance to ensure timely responses to inquiries including acting as liaison for team with internal partners, answering questions, routing requests appropriately and taking and distributing minutes of meetings
- Drafts and posts social media content across various mediums for audiences in coordination with communications
- Maintains and coordinates external communications calendar to leverage donor opportunities
- Provides website update support and design
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A deep commitment to the mission of a better, safer future for the world’s poorest people through land ownership and secure land rights.
- Superior thinking, speaking, and writing skills, such that the Assistant can describe Landesa programs, projects, and activities for purposes of fundraising.
- Leadership, collaboration, and consensus-building skills.
- Ability to work in support of and collaboratively with a range of people at all levels, including Landesa management and program staff, board members, donors, contractors, outside vendors and suppliers, and other administrative staff members, and to proactively seek ways to contribute to team success.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other fundraising-related software, including Salesforce.
- Commitment to Landesa’s core values of mission first, collaborative, and constructive.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in marketing / communications / fundraising or a related field (international development, gender studies, etc.)
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Salesforce or other database experience preferred
- Graphic design background including adobe suite preferred
- Social media experience and expertise preferred.
- Experience with nonprofit organizations preferred
- Experience working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments.