Founded in 1984, Agros International is a faith-based non-profit organization that breaks the cycle of poverty for farming families in rural Central America. Agros creates a pathway from poverty to prosperity by advancing opportunities for land ownership, market-led agriculture, financial empowerment, and health and well-being. Over the past 34 years Agros has partnered with 43 rural communities in Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, and Mexico impacting the lives of over 10,000 people.
The Communications Officer will help tell the story of Agros’ programs and impact to a broad audience through a variety of channels in order to build appreciation, understanding, and support of Agros’ mission and raise Agros’ profile in the community—with a primary goal of inspiring new, continued, and increased philanthropic support of the organization. The Communications Officer will have strong written, graphic, and strategic communications skills together with a passion and delight for crafting compelling and accessible messages that truly stick. Collaborating with the Vice President of Development & Communications, this individual will play a key support role in the development of communications strategy for the organization and will be responsible for the execution of that strategy. The Communications Officer will also support general development activities as a member of a donor-centered development and communications team.
• Manage and execute production of printed materials, including developing concept and strategy, writing content, designing, copy-editing, and coordinating with outside vendors. Materials include newsletters, brochures, direct mail packages, annual reports, and promotional items.
• Write content for funding proposals destined for major donors and institutional funders (e.g. foundations and corporations) as well as content creation for direct mail appeals in support of Agros’ revenue goals.
• Manage website content and work with outside web developer on site improvements.
• Plan strategy of email communications. Craft and distribute e-communications to Agros constituents. Track and report on email performance.
• Manage social media activity for the organization in a strategic manner to advance awareness, build affinity for, and inspire personal connections with and support of Agros’ mission among diverse constituencies. This includes Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
• Support promotion and planning of large and small fundraising events. This includes design of printed collateral, e-promotion, design of event materials, assisting with messaging, and staffing events.
• Develop relationships with local and national media to garner coverage and increase public awareness of Agros. Produce and distribute media alerts and press releases. Track coverage.
• Manage, utilize, and contribute to Agros’ substantive library of photo and video resources.
• Lead ongoing process of gathering updated, personal stories and media assets from the field, working with colleagues, donor trip participants, and third-party organizations to facilitate story collection.
• Maintain brand and messaging consistency in all external communications. Develop communications guidelines for organization and facilitate implementation by broader staff.
Qualifications and experience:
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Experience leading graphic and web design projects.
• Fantastic storyteller. Able to draw upon program team’s impact data, interviews with program beneficiaries, and observations from the field to craft compelling stories of the real-life, human impact that Agros is having in ways that touch people’s hearts, open their eyes, and deepen their understanding.
• Ability to take complex, multi-faceted programs and create simple, concise, and engaging messages that convey the “nugget” of what Agros does. A gift for making the organization’s work readily and easily grasped to inspire and hook the curiosity of people who have no prior knowledge of Agros.
• Experience managing social media and digital communications strategy and execution.
• Proven graphic design skills and an eye for great aesthetics.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite software: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat
• Tech savvy. Strong computer skills, including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Experience with Raiser’s Edge a plus.
• Experience and proven skills in copy writing/editing/proofing
• Ability to manage and organize multiple projects, on schedule, with professionalism, attention to detail, and excellent quality.
• Affirmation of and commitment to support Agros’ faith-based organizational values and motivation.
• Enjoyment of collaborative creative processes as a member of a dynamic, passionate, and skilled development and communications team.
• Willingness and ability to travel occasionally to Central America.
• Proficiency/fluency in Spanish is a plus.
• Experience in and understanding of Latin America is a plus.
Annual salary: $65,000. Benefits include medical and dental, retirement, and paid leave. This is a full-time, exempt position.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter describing their qualifications and interest in this specific position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Send applications to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Officer.” No phone calls please. Those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications are reviewed as received, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.