Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a Children’s Coordinating Attorney to provide representation to unaccompanied immigrant children in Office of Refugee Resettlement custody in King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Two or more years of experience working in immigration law and with immigration authorities, or substantially equivalent experience, such as Washington dependency or delinquency experience;
- Attorney must be admitted to practice in Washington;
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Experience in direct representation of clients in immigration proceedings, including children or adults in ORR custody or Immigration detention;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably prior experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or service providers.
- Passion for KIND’s mission of supporting unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children, and an ability to communicate this to others.
Commensurate with education & experience.
Managing Attorney – KIND’s Seattle office
Based in KIND’s Seattle field office, the Children’s Coordinating Attorney will have the following responsibilities:
· Provide appropriate legal orientation presentations to immigrant children at risk of deportation;
· Complete detainee intakes following presentations;
· Prepare and conduct pro se workshops and individual orientations to assist these children;
· Undertake direct representation as permitted for children in their cases before the immigration court and/or review boards;
· File all relevant paperwork and applications with government agencies, immigration court, and state courts, where applicable;
· Recruit, train, and provide hands-on mentorship to volunteer attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters.
· Participate in staff meetings and KIND-wide calls;
· Assist in the supervision of law student interns and volunteers;
· Assist with periodic trainings and presentations; and
· Serve as an ambassador of KIND with local coalitions, courts, and agencies.
Work is generally performed within the office environment but will include meeting with clients at detention facilities and attendance at court proceedings
Local travel several times per week.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.