GENERAL SUMMARY: The Desk Officer works in close collaboration with the Area Director, Sr. Director of Operations and the Regional/HQ Team to affect a good management, development, supervision, and support of World Concern’s Country Programs within a Regional portfolio.
Working under the supervision of the Sr. Desk Officer and within the Regional/HQ Team assist to coordinate World Concern’s emergency relief and development activities and program design and development for the country programs within the regional portfolio, supports in-country teams and provides guidance to World Concern field staff from its Shoreline, WA offices with occasional trips to the field. The Desk Officer will also assist in new business development efforts and manage the development of proposals.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
(Responsibilities, Accountabilities, and Competencies; May not include all duties of this job)
Working under the supervision of the Sr. Desk Officer and with the Sr. Director of Operations:
1. Regional/HQ team membership (10%)
- Assist the Regional/HQ Team members to provide financial, program development, fund raising, recruitment and technical oversight, input and supervision;
- Work with members of other World Concern departments who are not assigned to the Regional Team but who provide programming, logistical, legal, human resource and communication oversight, input and/or supervision, including Resource Advancement.
- Regional/HQ program management (30%)
- Backstop the daily operations of the country programs to ensure continuance through appropriate response to context changes, mission, program, and beneficiary needs, donor positioning, lessons learned, and best practices;
- Facilitate compliance with internal and external regulations (referencing internal audit quarterly reports), and all applicable laws in consultation with Area Directors;
- Facilitate timely and adequate cooperation with Finance and Compliance regarding review and approval of agreements (MOUs, contracts, etc.);
- Assist field team with, in consultation with Finance, sub partner relationships, including subcontract management and review/approval of sub-reports
- Manage timely and proper reports (internal, financial, donor, special and other) and their flow within and without World Concern including review, analysis, and compliance with deadlines;
- Act as liaison for the country programs with World Concern internal departments, advocating for the needs of the program within World Concern;
- Maintain regular program management tools through use of internal systems, to ensure that objectives are being achieved and quality is maintained;
- Assist in developing and implementing regional and country strategies; provide feedback on identified country program directions; Remain up to date on key donor priorities and interests, ensuring that country strategies align
- Perform problem solving and mitigation as needed;
- Coordinate communications between all World Concern departments, including headquarters offices and the field; maintain open lines of communication with field staff ensuring that country programs are properly briefed on World Concern’s mission, goals, and capacity; In addition, ensure that HQ departments, such as Communications and Resource Advancement remain informed of country priorities and needs
- Assist in new program and new mission start-up as appropriate.
- Coordinate with HR as necessary to recruit and orient new hires and consultants
- Program design and development (20%)
- Assist ongoing program development and design using the country strategies as a base. This will include identification of needs; identification of donors, donor priorities, and donor opportunities; and program design;
- Lead the proposal process, which may include:
- Reviewing proposals for consistency with donor requirements (Requests for Proposals/Requests for Applications).
- Reviewing budget alignment with implementation planning and WC policies and practices.
- Coordinating all aspects of new business proposals. Oversee proposal development process from kick-off through production, delivery and issues letter phase.
- Developing the proposal calendar and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Predicting and preventing bottlenecks in proposal development process by staying abreast of all proposal components and allocating extra resources where needed.
- Ensuring donor requirements of each solicitation are fully satisfied.
- Providing quality-control of proposal documents and components prior to production.
- Coordinating with World Concern departments, including the Programs Unit, finance, HR.
- Processing (Pre) teaming agreements, shortfall/exposure approvals, preparation for submission, submission, following through the approval process, and assisting in start-up activities;
- Assist Country Directors and Area Director in expanding World Concern horizons ensuring sustainability using new funding mechanisms, new program concepts, and the adaptation of new program techniques using consultants as necessary;
- Supervisory Responsibilities (20%)
- Facilitate human resource oversight of country teams including administration matters, mentoring, coaching and identification and resolution of problems, concerns, legal issues, and conflicts;
- Assist in identification of staffing needs, applicant interviews, and orientation of new country mission staff, including consultants following appropriate World Concern procedures;
- Visit the country missions when possible for management and operational assessment; Coordinate visits to the mission by Regional/HQ Team members and others;
- Communicate regularly with mission staff, especially the country director through monthly (at a minimum), Monthly Program Review calls;
- Be accessible to mission staff;
- As requested by the field, promote technical support from HQ departments, whether in the form of site visits or calls.
- Provide leadership, guidance and promote professional working relationships with all World Concern’s departments to World Concern’s staff members.
- Representation (20%)
- Have a thorough understanding of the mission and regional contexts;
- Raise the profile of World Concern, its work and country missions through active participation in Interaction forum, conferences, workshops, outreach events, and communication opportunities;
- Document all contacts;
- Represent World Concern to the field and mission;
- Serve as advocate for the missions to internal and external parties.
1. Regional/HQ team leadership and management<strong
- Minutes of the team meetings distributed promptly.
- Manage regional/HQ programs
- Maintain up-to-date mission data – site descriptions, maps, contact lists, organizational charts, etc.;
- All reports submitted following donor regulations.
- Program design and development
- High quality proposals are submitted on time and follow donor regulations.
- Country strategy documents are developed on an annual basis
- Job descriptions, staff requests, travel and other human resources procedures are followed correctly;
- Field visited at least once per year by the Desk Officer.
(Any Equivalent Combination of Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education and Experience)
- Christian Commitment: A deep and abiding faith in Jesus Christ, lifestyle that is consistent with biblical principles and a demonstrated commitment to spiritual growth and development;
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g. Public Health, Social Work, International Relations, Business Administration, International Development, etc.);
- Experience in effectively dealing with international and headquarters staff, and the ability to deal with a broad spectrum of people;
- A minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience
- Proven knowledge of USAID RFA and proposal development procedures
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret USG/EU/UN donor regulations and requirements;
- Ability to write reports;
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management and field programs;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently;
- Outstanding organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Excellent ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced and constantly changing environment;
- Proven knowledge of USAID RFA and proposal development procedures;
- Strong analytical and research skills;
- Ability to assess field program needs;
- Strong computer skills;
- Software and Equipment Used: Professional level Microsoft Office
Suite, Office 365, SharePoint;
6. Other Considerations:
- Understanding of development concepts in developing countries;
- Excellent self-motivation skills;
- Flexibility and ability to cope in stressful situations;
- Creativity and possession of the ability to work with limited resources;
- Willingness and ability to travel as required.
(Any Equivalent Combination of Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education and Experience)
- Education: Master’s degree in relief and development or a related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the United States Department of Education or equivalent.
- Familiarity with assigned country(s).
- Previous travel within Asia Region
- Worked with International Development NGO
To apply, go here: https://worldconcern.org/about/careers/?p=job%2Fo5WN6fwE