REPORTS TO: Manager, Campaign Alliances
DEPARTMENT: Policy & Campaigns
COORDINATES WITH: Organizing & Alliances staff, Policy & Campaigns staff, Brand & Engagement staff, Communication staff, senior leadership, Resource Development staff, allied organizations, coalitions, consultants, volunteers, influential leaders, and interns.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Advocacy Advisor will strengthen Oxfam America’s advocacy capacity and impact through recruitment, cultivation, and engagement of influential constituencies, in particular Oxfam’s Sisters on the PlanetAmbassadors in the western U.S., in support of Oxfam America’s policy advocacy campaigns. The Senior Advocacy Advisor will work closely with the Campaign Alliances Manager to develop a long term strategy for engaging Latinx communities in Oxfam’s advocacy campaigns. The Senior Advocacy Advisor will support Oxfam’s campaign work.
- Expand Oxfam America’s influence and impact through strategic high level relationships with organizations, individuals, and institutions in the western U.S.
- Lead on project management of high profile events related to Oxfam campaign work.
- Recruit and nurture relationships with existing and new Oxfam Sisters on the Planet
- Develop a strategy for engaging U.S. Latinx leaders and organizations in support of Oxfam’s policy and campaign priorities, using a wide variety of tactics from building an ally network, overseeing alliance relationships and/or overseeing grants to allies.
- Represent the Organizing & Alliances unit on select internal campaign/policy initiative teams.
- Monitor politics and policy in key target states for various campaigns and where appropriate develop strategic options for action that intersect Oxfam America’s advocacy priorities.
- In coordination with Oxfam America’s media relations team, develop and maintain relationships with media in key target states regarding Oxfam’s policy priorities (including U.S. foreign aid, refugees, and climate change), including key reporters, columnists, editorial boards, radio, and local television stations.
- Represent Oxfam at national and regional events, conferences, and public forums.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning in the field.
- Work effectively and collaboratively in support of a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriated to a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to OA mission and goals.
- Have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Up to 35% overnight travel to Oxfam offices in the U.S. and to key target states; occasional international travel; some evening work may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in public policy, government relations, issue advocacy campaigning, or other relevant experience.
- Experience recruiting and managing relationships with high level influential individuals.
- Experience organizing, collaborating and/or representing a diverse group of Latinx organizations/individuals in the U.S.
- Demonstrated program and team management experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to represent Oxfam publicly and demonstrated public speaking experience.
- Knowledge of the field of international development and human rights.
- Knowledge of U.S. government policymaking processes.
- Experience working with allied organizations.
- Master’s degree in related field or or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- Spanish Language Ability
- Knowledge of political landscape and influential communities/individuals in 1 or more western U.S. states
For more information and to apply, go here.