Organizations in Paraguay:
EarthCorps offers a 6-month service learning program in Seattle, Washington, USA that brings together emerging environmental leaders from around the world to learn the fundamentals of: Environmental Service, Community Building, Leadership.
As an industry leader and the world’s largest software company, Microsoft has a responsibility to act as a good corporate citizen all around the world. Whether it is complying with local laws and regulations, demonstrating ethical business standards, mitigating risks to the environment, or protecting human rights, Microsoft is committed to being a global leader in corporate social responsibility. Corporate citizenship is also core to the Microsoft business strategy and the way that we interact with customers, partners, governments, and employees. It is a way of doing business that recognizes the effect that Microsoft has on society and the effect that society has on our business. The Microsoft corporate citizenship mission is simple: to serve the public good through innovative technologies and partnerships and to deliver on our business responsibilities of growth and value to our customers, shareholders, and employees. This mission not only guides our work as a corporate citizen, but also provides a framework through which our business addresses new markets, technologies, and business models.
SeaChar.Org is working to research, educate and promote the use of biochar and clean biochar production. Biochar has great potential to favorably impact climate change, soil productivity, food security and the production of carbon negative sustainable biomass energy. Our technology development is producing clean burning fuel efficient alternatives to open fire burning of wood or charcoal for cooking and commercial scale charcoal production. We prioritize crop and forestry waste products as new energy input sources. As such our work and the resource we represent supports all of the following areas :
• creation of new entrepreneurial fuel cycles
• decreased cost of cooking and heating inputs
• decreased cost of agricultural inputs
• creation of in country manufacturing
• potential carbon credit (offset and sequestration) funding
• increased agricultural productivity
• creation of clean energy and value added products sector, from green waste
• improved indoor air quality
• improved food security
• improved water quality
• improved green and animal waste handling
CLIMATE, ENVIRONMENT, AGRICULTURE:
• improved soil tilth, water handling, nutrient cycling and productivity
• reduced fertilizer leaching
• reduced methane and NO2 emissions from ag. activities
• biochar is a long lasting carbon sink for carbon taken from the CO2 cycle, thus it is a major “wedge” strategy for the reduction of atmoshperic CO2 levels
• reduced deforestation, due to redirected and/or more efficient fuel cycles
• reduced desertification, through (anthropogenic) soil building
• brown field soil remediation
• biochar/stove program development support
• biochar plot testing
• training trainers on the use and potential of gassification
technology (stoves to village energy production)
With the support of the Global Washington community, we will work to make SeaChar.Org a resource for experienced partners seeking to build positive, sustainable infrastructure world wide. SeaChar is currently working with Agros International to evaluate the requirements for a successful biochar development project in rural Central America.
SightLife transforms lives by unlocking life’s possiblities for corneal blind individuals around the globe.
Working with surgeons in over 30 countries, SightLife and our partner eye banks restore sight to more than 30 men, women, and children each day. This is accomplished through eye banking, which is the recovery and placement of eye tissue used in cornea transplants.
Woodland Park Zoo
Woodland Park Zoo saves animals and habitats through conservation leadership and engaging experiences, inspiring people to learn, care